1912 Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
pqtex
Been here a while

1912 Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

Post by pqtex »

I'm the fourth generation owner of the homestead built by my great-grandparents in 1913. My husband and I are reviving the place and are going more and more towards a homestead lifestyle.

I never know what I'll turn up when I search for something. This time I was looking for images/ideas for a harvest/garden shed that would fit the character of our property.

I turned up this 1912 publication:
"Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them"
http://archive.org/details/cu31924080109832

Sometimes the old ways work better than modern. Some of the old techniques have been forgotten. I enjoy learning how my great-grandparents did things. They reused and repurposed before it was a catch phrase. They fixed and rebuilt. They didn't just run to the store to buy something new that they could repair.

I know there are others on this board who live on rural property or in homes that were once farmhouses, so maybe you'll enjoy looking through this digital file, too.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1912 Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

Post by SkipW »

I saved the link to browse later because I'm sure I will find something I can use instead of a modern device.

One issue I have found though, is that sometimes the materials (at todays costs) make constructing your own implements cost prohibitive vs. buying something to do the job, although buying new is often MUCH leass rewarding.

My wife marvels that I try to keep a lawnmower working year after year that has a deck made from recycled baseboard heat parts and the transmission with plumbing parts and the rest with old electrical fittings.....can't tell if that's ingenuity or cheap!
Etta says "WOOF"

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

I often find that the things I have in mind just aren't available in the stores. Believe it or not, but I printed the entire book last night and have had fun browsing it. It has instructions for making chicken coops (we don't have chickens yet), an easily opened gate (now I can use the old iron wagon wheel that's in my barn), and there are examples of things I never thought of but see a use for. It's just a cool book that is part of yesterday. Many folks won't get anything out of it, but if looks fun and useful to me. :-)

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

PM Chris S. (the admin) and see if he'll put it in the resources thread.....I think it qualifies. Maybe even as a .pdf or something so if the site hosting it ever drops dead we still have it.

Cheers!

Chaz