Your plans for 2013.

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Your plans for 2013.

Post by Wackyshack »

Just finish the 90% projects we are still working on. Sunk almost 18 grand in the house over the last 14months and we have to cool it for a bit.

We have a mantel we want to put in a false fireplace and put the tv on top.
I have 2 exterior doors I want installed between the back parlor and sewing room to block out the males and their entertainment choices. If I can get that done I will feel very lucky. Plenty to do outside with the garden that will take time, but not big money.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

My goal is to make three rooms better than they are now.

Not done.....just better.

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

I'd quite like to have :-

sheet rock on the unfinished walls
Two bedroom floors refinished
New flooring on the landing - we used most of the original to patch the parlor floor
Electric light on the back stairs

But mostly? An occupancy permit, that'll bring our insurance down to a reasonable level

Then I can have a good ol' moan to the Town about the amount of garbage our neighbor has in his yard. It's going to be payback time for the hassle we've had to deal with from JP Morgan :twisted:

oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass) »

Cute kitchen cabinet hardware! I haven't posted here much but I joined early and am a long-time member of OHW. Our Folk Victorian house is app. 120 yrs old. We are at the point now that most of the work we do is maintenance-related.

I do have a couple of projects for 2013, if time and finances permit.
#1 is to repaint the parlor. The current paint color is from a previous decor scheme. I want it painted pink. :)
#2 is exterior painting. Not the entire house - we do one side a year.
#3 is to have the windows cleaned. We have over 30 windows in the house and most of them have triple-track storms - a PITA to clean. A few years ago I hired a professional firm. The following summer the state started a utility and road construction project on the street that runs perpendicular to our home which generated a lot of dust and dirt. The project ended recently and the windows are a mess. So this is high on my priority list. There you have my three. We'll see if they all happen. :D

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Old house luvr, I had to laugh when I read that you wanted to add pink. So many people want to paint to take away the pink.

#1 Goal will be to drop the electric underground. We will hire people to do this. We have been talking about this since 2006, and it has worked its way up to the top of the priority list.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

hartwood (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by hartwood (WavyGlass) »

It's so satisfying to see that there are so many of us who have the same kind of goals. There's nothing really earth-shattering here ... just regular old house stuff that we all understand.

For me, I have already started on one of my most-anticipated projects ... to upgrade the closets in our master bedroom. In the interest of moving the project along at the best pace, I hired a contractor friend to do the major construction parts. Now it's up to me to caulk and paint and put up the closet systems. I hope to be finished and enjoying the visible and accessible contents of my new closet by the end of next week.

My rose garden is a total nightmare. Weeds have taken over, yet the roses keep growing and blooming despite my neglect. I hope to reclaim at least a portion of the garden, and keep it looking nice. Section by section ... that's my plan.

I have to come up with some sort of system to organize my tools and supplies. It would be so much easier to work on something if I could find my stuff.

My main goal for the year is this ... to make more of an effort to actually FINISH each project before moving on to something else. (Is this a goal or a fairy tale?)

Connie
Happy in Hartwood
Stafford County, Virginia
1848 Gothic Revival Farmhouse
http://www.hartwoodroses.blogspot.com

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

hartwood wrote:My main goal for the year is this ... to make more of an effort to actually FINISH each project before moving on to something else. (Is this a goal or a fairy tale?)
Connie

If you're like me it's a fairy tale. I still have lots of little things to finish from previously started projects - many projects are done, but aren't Done if you know what I mean:
- make the necessary modification to the rosettes to install the small crystal doorknobs that I found a year ago
- remove the excess paint from the bottom edge of the study doors that I painted 9 months ago, so they close again
- re-install the receivers for the french door latches that were removed 4 years ago when we refinished the floors
- install the last push-button light switch that I bought 10 months ago
- finish re-screening the bathroom window that I started in September
- paint that one little spot behind the radiator in the living room (should have been done along with the rest of the room in March)

You want more? ;)

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

Oh! Things that just get put off, that's a fun topic. :?

I put the hinges on the wrong side of a door first and its been a year and all I need to do is fill the holes with wood putty and paint. I should do that when I wood putty the nail holes in ALL the trim we have ever reinstalled...all.of.it.

I need to take three more of my ikea curtain panels out of the packages and use iron on tape to hem them top and bottom (to avoid sewing) and hang them. We actually had been about 5 years without curtains in the dining room, and about a year since I bought them and only got the front of the house completed.

One side of the railings at the top of the stairs are refinished, the other side is half done.

We have no hand rails on our stairs...someone is going to fall one day. We really need hand rails installed and I've been saying that for more than a decade.

The kitchen faucet leaks at the base. The burners on the right of the stove need new igniters and I light them with a lighter every time. I'll put those things together in one comment, both make my kitchen kind of bad...
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root