Your plans for 2013.

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
nezwick
Knows the area

Your plans for 2013.

Post by nezwick »

I think the term "New Years Resolutions" is too cliché, but I have compiled a list of the items I vow to take care of in 2013. Maybe posting this online for everyone to see will give me the motivation I need (I usually hate setting goals because I never accomplish them). I just took these pics tonight so they even include the typical day-to-day mess our house always has.

1. Most important - finish the dining room. Everything but the floor WILL be done by June!
- Finish upper sections of walls where drop ceiling was, and finish priming
- Repair, prime, and paint ceiling
- Paint walls, colour will be similar to the primer pictured
- Find an antique chandelier to refurbish and hang
- Build a threshold to go between the dining room/kitchen floors

2. 2nd priority - finish the front foyer walls - by June!
- Finish sanding the skim coat I did early last year
- Prime and paint, same red as the rest of the foyer/staircase

3. Tear up the tiles from the font foyer to reveal the original floors

4. Not pictured - buy 2 new toilets for the bathrooms. The upstairs one is from 1982 and the downstairs one is from 1959. They're horribly inefficient and the upstairs one is miserably slow to drain.

I don't think those goals are TOO lofty or out of reach. There are also a few things that will be "nice" if I could accomplish them this year, though I'm not going to push it...

1. Tear up the red carpet and layers of flooring beneath from the living room. Baseboards/trim needs painted too but that won't be this year.

2. Paint kitchen cabinets and ceiling white. Also finally replace the PO's rooster curtains!

3. And it would be really cool if I could get the ugly 1980s steel front door replaced.

So what are your goals for 2013? Care to share some pics of your house's "dirty little secrets" that you intend to remedy this year?

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Your plans for 2013.

Post by mattswabb »

It looks like I'll have a lot of time on my hands come spring. We've known for close to 2 years that the plant I work at is closing and my time is up this spring. So with no job and a huge severance I hope to get a lot done.

Some of the things on my list are:
Paint the master bedroom this winter
Fabricate and install new porch railings. Also a winter project.
Continue with the landscaping I did last year
Do a rain barrel system and maybe pump water from the river
Replace the cedar shingles on the south and west side of the house
Strip and paint the trim where the brick meets the cedar siding
Try to restore 16 windows
Replace a large cracked section of the driveway

I'm sure there will be other things added but this should keep me busy. I'm planning on this being the last big year of work for me. The house should be under control and I'll be able to cut my workload down a bit.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I've got to finish my 2012 work in the study/bathroom project. Then I need to re-line my Yankee gutters and put in new downspouts. One section of the house needs re-pointed. And I'd like to turn out some money making work from my shop.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i hope to end my search for another house to call home--a pre-1925 home in good shape...currently i live in a 20 year old house...it's nice but not me...it will be difficult to leave 10.5 acres of woods, fields, lawn and gardens (and my sweet little shop attached to the house) but it will be a lot easier...i made an appointment to look at the 'perfect' house recently only to find that an offer was made and accepted, darn...

wish i could see the photos that were shared but dial-up won't allow it...another thing i will not miss in rural area...best to everyone in your efforts...group support will go a long way in goals being met!!
...jade

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

We are in the process of restoring our little guest room to be four feet wider. First goal is to get the walls, trim, doors, and floors all smooth, fresh and matching by mudding, sanding, priming, painting, cutting, nailing, etc., etc.,. Then the closet interior, and then put the furniture back in and let life return to normal.

The rest of this year the big project will be cleaning and organizing the workshop and purging excess stuff in the basement.

2012 was an expensive, yet rewarding, year.
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Well, it's a "wish list" but i hope to get most of it done.

-Finish gutting and restoring our ailing hallway upstairs and the staircase and foyer
-Finish repointing our foundation and trimming out the basement windows, plus some landscaping
-Build a new bilco door to the basement
-Restore 6 of our downstairs windows
-Get a gas fireplace insert into the living room

On top of this I may have my first sizeable window restoration job at (of all places) the building of my regular day job...a c.1800 restaurant. Boss wants the third floor windows done first. He had a rep. from Pella in to discuss vinyl replacements and I had to convince him I could restore them for less.
He'll be getting a deal but it's good advertizing to our patrons ...many of whom have old houses and too much money to know what to do with. Jade, get your moral support ready. :lol:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

where's that dancing back flipping motocon??? woohoo, eric that's fantastic...good way to get your feet wet...shall i set up a direct line so you can let me know how well things are progressing?
...jade

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

My main goals are to get the upstairs bathroom done (currently gutted) and the front stairwell finished (finish skim coating and paint). I'd love to get the downstairs floors refinished, but I think that's too optimistic. I'd also like to finish the trim repairs and painting in my mom's kitchen (she lives in the smaller half of our duplex).

normajean (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by normajean (WavyGlass) »

My goal is to finish the walls in the stairway they havve been stippped of wallpaper, waiting for the priming painting for a year now. My excuse is the height involved.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

I need to stain the wood shingles of our back second story walls - it's been six years and it's due.

Chris