preparing for winter......

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
jschneider
Knows the area

Re: preparing for winter......

Post by jschneider »

Yep, that was me, but with the help of a friend who has re-piped a few systems before. It's tough to find somebody that knows what they're doing, so you're kind of forced to learn about it yourself.

The steam was finicky at first, mostly due to me now knowing anything about it. It's actually a pretty smooth system once you get previous sins fixed.

Any type of radiant system is light years better than the hot air system I used to have. It was either hot or cold depending upon if it was blowing.

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

We're experiencing our first winter with radiant heat (hot water, cast iron radiators), and I'm quite pleased with the comfort so far. We just put in a new boiler - a Viessmann Vitodens 100 - which also does our domestic hot water. I'll be writing a longer write-up for the Howto section when I can find some time.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Anyone have any tips on safely installing upper floor storm windows? We have the original wood storms (with wavy glass, even!) and I need to reinstall the 5-6 that we removed for the summer. They're quite heavy, and it's a decent height. Any safety tips would be appreciated.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i'm going to assume the hardware of the window and the trim is in place and in good working order...having a stand-off can be very helpful...they come in differnt widths, finding one that straddles the width of your window opening will be your best choice...an investment, but i'm sure you'll find other uses for it in the coming years...
http://www.industrialladder.com/listPro ... MgodczwAeg

i have installed storms on my own more times than i care to remember....grasp the storm from the top or side, whichever is most comfortable for you--walk up the ladder with your arm and storm held out and away from the ladder...once you get to the top, lift the storm up and over the stand-off and install...you don't need any tools...sounds easy and actually it really is...it's a good idea to have someone standing at the ready inside by the window...may i suggest you don't ask the cute little person who is sitting on your shoulders in your picture...make sure you have a hook and eye or some other form of hardware to pull the storm in close and secure...

it's very cold here today while i'm having the remainder of my 5 cords of wood stacked in the basement...

...jade

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Good tip on the stand-off - that will help a lot. I've already purchased two ladders this year... a $50 accessory is just another drop in the bucket. :-)

The windows have a variety of fastening systems from over the years: Some windows (at least one per room) have the hangers that allow them to swing open, others have turn buttons, and some just have bent nails. I'd like to add hangers to all of them at some point, but in the meantime I should probably invest in some turn buttons to replace the bent nails.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

I agree that the helper on my shoulder wouldn't be good for this task - though he does excel at picking up scraps of the old roof from in the bushes (the roofers were extremely sloppy).
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

turnbuckles and hangers...the stainless steel ones are on the expensive side but they are heavy duty and will last forever...

http://kilian.stores.yahoo.net/woodscreenan.html

silly roofers....nails and shingle shards everywhere.....cute little guy!

...jade