Historic House Walk

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Historic House Walk

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

We've been asked to open our house for an historic house walk sponsored by the Historical Society in our city. I'm not familiar with this, and wondering if anyone has an opinion. My feelings are that I will be working hard to complete some work clean and declutter if I do it, and that's a good motivator. But we still would have the "little" bedroom" a mess of construction. People have to buy tickets, and that's about all I know.

I've been ignoring the invitation, it may be too late to join. Anyone done this before??
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Re: Historic House Walk

Post by Jeepnstein »

It's not for everyone. We use our house as a very public space and this makes some of my friends insane. You'll have people wandering through your house, total strangers. Are you up for that?

If you decide to do it make sure that you set limits. There is public and then there is private space in my home. You may want to rope off some hallways or whatever. Also you may want to consider what the foot traffic will be like. Again, not a problem for me but some folks pass out shoe covers at the door.

If you have dogs, then consider that carefully. I used to have a German Shepherd who took exception to strangers in his space. He made his feelings known in spectacular fashion. One of my wife's Maltese dogs was the same way on a much smaller scale. For the safety of the dog and your guests you might need to make some kind of arrangements to deal with that.

Also you might want to consider what valuables you put on display. I've never heard of a thief buying a ticket to a home tour to case a place but who knows who your guests will tell about what they saw?

We've done it and it's enjoyable if you're into meeting people.