I scored some WavyGlass today

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
nezwick
Knows the area

I scored some WavyGlass today

Post by nezwick »

Click images for full size.

The furnace guy was here this morning for my annual cleaning/inspection and we were talking about my stash of salvaged windows and doors in the corner of the basement. He told me that he had a couple boxes of glass back in his shop that he was going to throw away soon, that he'd give me. I wasn't sure what to expect, but of course I said "sure".

He came back a couple minutes later with these. Two wooden cases of antique glass, 16x30 (which is almost EXACTLY the size I need for the windows in the old part of the house). They are unopened and still packed in the original straw packing material. One case was cracked so I counted 14 panes.

The label reads :
"SUPERIOR QUALITY WINDOW GLASS"
"BROOKVILLE TILE AND GLASS CO."
"BROOKVILLE, PA" "16X30"

Brookville, PA is the next town East, and it's where I got my first batch of salvaged windows.

I had to go to work so I didn't get to inspect these any further, but I am beyond excited. Absolutely free and hopefully unbroken. If all 28 panes are in tact, this means I now have all the glass I need to build windows for the old part of the house!

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: I scored some WavyGlass today

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

Wow - that's amazing. Congrats!
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

that is fantastic news!!!

glass is becoming more difficult to come by around these parts...a number of my old glass connections (replacement window installers) tell me that the epa now refers to old sash as 'hazardous waste' and they must dispose of them properly... :roll:

...jade

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

heartwood wrote:that is fantastic news!!!

glass is becoming more difficult to come by around these parts...a number of my old glass connections (replacement window installers) tell me that the epa now refers to old sash as 'hazardous waste' and they must dispose of them properly... :roll:

...jade

I've been disposing of them properly....they're all lined up against the wall in my basement. When I see them at the curb, I snag them up & bring them home!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Some interesting back story about this glass:

The guy who gave me the glass is the owner of his HVAC company. When he bought the company, it was housed in an old building in Brookville, which I learned today, used to be a brewery. These boxes of glass came from that brewery building.

I did a little poking around on the internet and came across a biography of a man named Magnus Allgeier - the founder of this brewery. Mr. Allgeier also was the vice president of the Brookville Glass and Tile Company! So that's the connection.

I found the Brookville Glass and Tile Co. on a 1904 Sanborn map - it was just across the creek and "down the tracks" from the brewery building. Another link I found states the company was involved in a patent dispute in 1917. I could not find exactly when the company was founded, but it was NOT present on the 1887 Sanborn map.

So in summary.. my glass is a little bit newer than the old part of my house (built sometime between 1872-1877).

jschneider
Knows the area

Post by jschneider »

Holy crap that's cool!

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

I very carefully removed the top from one of the boxes of glass and pulled one of the sheets out.

Sure enough, it's got all the waves/bubbles/flaws I am looking for! And they don't even seem to be stuck together or anything.

I am still pretty much in disbelief that I am even in possession of these, let alone that they were free. Things like this just don't happen every day.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

That's awesome. Now you can have bb gun practice. :D
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Man am I jealous! That is just incredible to find. If only I could stumble upon a box of 14x34" glass for my tall downstairs windows...now that would be handy! :mrgreen:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Here's an old newspaper article about the glass plant. Not sure what paper it came from, but credit goes to Florence from the Brookville Pennsylvania Photo Project for digging this up for me! It opened in 1902, closed in 1904, re-opened and closed several more times, and then closed indefinitely during the Depression. It was torn down in 1963.