I scored some WavyGlass today

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Re: I scored some WavyGlass today

Post by Chevygirlalways »

What a fabulous gift!!
Thank you for sharing the newspaper article about the Brookville Glass Plant.
I have old windows in our attic and barn. Seems like everything was saved here. :)

Susan

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

I remembered a hint: keep it dry; if stacked glass becomes infiltrated by water, it can suffer "glass rot" a kind of chemical etching caused by some bacterial action.
I came across a huge stock of greenhouse glass that had been crated decades earlier and most all of it was ruined by glass rot. All those 16x24 panes were shot!
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yup, glass rot is a real phenomenon..... :(

for cloudy glass, we use a slurry of bon ami or barkeepers friend (in a paper can like comet or ajax but not advertised like the latter two)...sprinkle the powder on the glass, spray enough water to make a pumice/slurry and wash with a papertowel...rinse and repeat...if it's true rot, it won't come out...if it's cloudy, you will be amazed!

...jade

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

That's interesting - I was not aware of such a phenomenon!

I planned to store it in the basement, which gets humid over the summer but it's not like the glass will get submerged. I'm going to screw a couple of 2x4's across 2 floor joists and slide the cases of glass up there so they are safe and secure.

Thanks for the cleaning tips Jade - I'll keep that in mind if any of them end up being cloudy.

tjcoffice
Just Arrived

Post by tjcoffice »

Nice! Last time I priced wavy glass hereabouts, it would have cost me about $400 for a 32 x 32 piece.

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Well I just priced a batch of 16x30 sheets of glass from Restoration Glass and the whole order would be $2,419 plus $183 shipping!! I was expecting several $hundreds, but that price just blows my mind. I will be protecting these cases of glass with my life!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

.....and because your new old glass is original and has a wonderful story behind it, it's worth more than new stuff!! i'm so very happy for you......

my heart sinks everytime i hear that a homeowner or contractor has just tossed their old sash in the landfill..."oh, they had lead paint on them"....oy...

...jade

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I am completely stoked...two blocks away another old house was purchased and the owners are doing a gut job renovation (which is a shame as it could have been a great place with proper TLC) but today I asked the owner what he is doing with the windows he began pulling out. "Going in the dumpster" was his reply. Mind if I take them? :D
I've now got 17 windows worth of wavy goodness including some really big panes. I'm set for glass for the rest of our house now!
Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Congratulations! I'd love to find some spare wavy glass, but I seriously doubt I could find any for the large windows we've got here. The one I just measured is 24x54! 24" is rather wide for old-house casements here, the height probably isn't that unusual.