Basement Bathroom

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Basement Bathroom

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

I don't believe I ever posted about our basement bathroom remodel which was earlier this year. The bathroom is not used frequently, but during the 4 years (!) it took to complete the main bathroom, we used that bathroom to shower in frequently. (we have one full bath on each floor in this house). After using it a while, it became clear that there was some leaking going on. We decided to have the shower rebuilt, and during the demo it grew into more using the concept of "well if we are going to have to do that, we might as well...". But, please note that we didn't go so far with our "might as wells" to make a whole new bigger bathroom, we did stay within the old footprint.

I found some pictures on facebook and downloaded to the pbase site in my signature. This bathroom is only at most 6' x 6' so its very hard to take pictures of it.

Before:

After:

We knew the shower had rot, but underestimated the extent of it. Even though its only a basement bathroom, we tried to think about the future and make it better than it was before. I only had a few days to "pick out the stuff" which suddenly meant new fixtures, floor tile, finding a sink that fit, new shower door and making it look right. I went with a grey/brown modernish design inspired by the Ikea sink, lol. Some notes:

The mirror just extends if you want it right in front of your face at the sink. Its magnified on one side and regular on the other.

The shower is only 32" or so. It's solid surface composite on the walls and ceiling, Moen posi-temp keeps it steady even if someone else is taking a shower upstairs, laundry etc.

14" deep Ikea wall mount sink allows for better use of a tiny space.

Moved the two piece round bowl space saving Toto from main floor bath and bought a new one-piece space saving elongated Toto Ultramax II for upstairs.

The floor tile is a beautiful grey porcelain basket weave bought online at exactly the small amount needed.

Baseboard heat instead of the ineffective radiator that was in the wall.

New window, ceiling, can lights and exhaust fan.

We used composite boards on the lower framing of the shower to avoid future rot from basement seepage or flooding.

Wood baseboards instead of those rubber ones makes the room 'finished'.

Paint color is Sherwin Williams "Grayish"

Bathroom door swings out instead of in (and it also had to be replaced due to rot)
Last edited by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Re: Basement Bathroom

Post by Superbeetle »

Very nice! Very clever mirror solution.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Is the mirror mount long enough to shave in the shower? That would be useful. The bathroom turned out nice. I like the floor tile.

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

Moved this to the "Bragbook" page, since I realized its not about discussion. Not sure how I can delete the thread as a duplicate. :?:
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

I think it's fine to have it in both places - the Brag Book can be more of a permanent record, while discussions would happen here. We'll see how the forum evolves as to people's preferences - I have no strong opinion on the matter.

(if you'd still like to delete your post, let me know)
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Oh yes... the evil "While we're at it" projects! Had one of them just a few days ago. "While the plumbers have all the walls open, why not add some wiring?" and there goes a day spent on ladders.