Help me save my historic district

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Re: Help me save my historic district

Post by Jeepnstein »

I'm no purist. And I'm a firm believer in retaining one's own property rights. But vinyl windows? That's just plain wrong. Wanna bet she also paints all the woodwork?

The sad part is she'll eventually get her way. Historic Districts seem to fare better in a climate of rising property values.

Vala

Post by Vala »

That's just sickening. Why do people buy houses like that if they want plastic windows and fake plastic shakes???

I don't really have any ideas I'm afraid but how about also adding that things to your debate/discussion like siding encourages rot and insect infestations including wasps. I have covered that quite bit in my blog posts. And that plastic windows last on average 10-20 years if you're lucky. Even if the vinyl doesn't degrade the seals for the "thermal glass" only last 20 years..

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

We don't have one and I wish we did. Properties on the Historic Inventory can have a stop demo put in place for a delay, but the building can still go under the wrecking ball. It is very sad. The grange hall just sold, think they are going to wreck the building and turn it into apartments. YUK.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Here's the latest article that came after the hearing. Not good for our side.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015 ... wners-say/

Yesterday the reporter interviewed people for a pro-district article. I gave her a tour and they took a bunch of picture. We had 2 others over hat have been involved with the district since before it was thought of. They answered most of the interview questions. It should come out in Sunday's paper.

I'm working to get 2 signatures off the list and another member believes he could sway a few others off the list. The "bad" people we also try to get additional support as well.

JRC

Post by JRC »

"Historic district has outlived purpose." I don't know, it seems like this was the whole point of the district; to preserve the original details. But, because vinyl is cheaper, people want out.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I originally wanted wood windows for our house, but went with the vinyl because of our tight budget. Forgive me.

The mortal sin was already committed when the original owners went with the awning jalousies. The house is old, but not historic in the sense of the character like those homes have.

But on a house like that, with as many windows as it has, well, I am not sure. With those winters, they say the vinyl are more energy efficient, and I am sure the newer wood ones are, I never looked into it.

I remember my rowhouse in Philly with the winters and the somewhat sticking wood windows. Are they made better today?
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

JRC

Post by JRC »

Nicholas wrote:I originally wanted wood windows for our house, but went with the vinyl because of our tight budget. Forgive me.

The mortal sin was already committed when the original owners went with the awning jalousies. The house is old, but not historic in the sense of the character like those homes have.

But on a house like that, with as many windows as it has, well, I am not sure. With those winters, they say the vinyl are more energy efficient, and I am sure the newer wood ones are, I never looked into it.

I remember my rowhouse in Philly with the winters and the somewhat sticking wood windows. Are they made better today?

I'm sure there are people here more educated on this issue than me, and hopefully they will chime in. But, storm windows cost as much or even less than replacement vinyl windows, and the combination of refurbished original windows with storms is just about as efficient. Then, you have the benefit of keeping the original windows, and you don't have to replace the replacements in a couple decades.

As for windows that stick, that's often caused by paint build-up. But, if it's wood on wood, I think you can use paraffin or beeswax to keep things moving freely.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, all you can do is put up the good fight, and maybe get a counter poticion with the remaining two thirds. I'm sure your not the only one wanting to maintain a certain standard for the area. After all their homes will be effected as well.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nicholas, I don't believe any one here will condem you for vinyl. We all do what we must, within our means. You are preserving and living in a vintage home, by default saving it from ruin. Widows can be replaced in time when funds allow.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Gothichome, a good point, but I will probably be a bag of dust before window replacement happens again.... :)
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House