So I went to a tax foreclosure sale ..........

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: So I went to a tax foreclosure sale ..........

Post by lovesickest »

Note all the removed pics and contents.

Quite a flounce outta here !

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

:roll: :lol: yep. whole thing seemed like something of a trolling expedition to me - though I doubt it actually was. I think he was after a different kind of a place
Mick...

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

:lol: I think he might be a little angry with us. I mean, we are a bunch of snobs afterall... :roll:
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

Carmify (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by Carmify (WavyGlass) »

I have a few questions to ask those crowing about Denali's departure from the forum--
These are sincere questions --
1) I put central air conditioning in my old home, because it is my way of making it nicer to live there. (I think that if the Victorians and the Edwardians had had access to central air, they'd have installed it. In my case, it's safe to assume that it's not historically accurate--because it wasn't there to begin with.) Is this offensive to you?
2) Why were you not bothered by his use of cinder block on his foundation repair? My understanding is that cinder block is a more modern convenience--at any rate, I don't think it was used when his house was built.
3) If I don't like old wall paper--maybe large ostrich plumes or cabbage roses annoy me-- if I were to paint a soft, solid color where loud wallpaper once was, would that be an issue?
I guess I'm just stumped as to where the nastiness is coming from. I'd have loved to see what he did with that little house. Maybe there will be kids playing there soon, maybe a happy family-- oblivious to all the pontificating about what constitutes maintaining a historic house.
Carm--my Renovation Diary at carmify.tumblr.com

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm not sure I'm "crowing" but I will bite.

1) nope - I agree with your thoughts and reasoning. I might not like it if you tore out a bunch of nice original features to put it in, and if you were going to I might try to persuade you of the virtues of taking a route that damages less of the fabric, but of course it would be your choice. I would hope that you would discuss the project in a way that is - errm - sensitive to the topic and issue of the board. For example:

"I'm putting in central air, but I might have to get rid of some of this nice old woodwork - what are your thoughts or experiences with this? Is there somethign I am missing?"

rather than "I'm putting in central air, gonna tear out a bunch of this old woodwork because I am not into this stuff and haven't got the time for it"

2) No opinion on the cinder block vs the hollow terracotta stuff - never seen that before. My poured cement foundation is a "modern convenience" but it also stands up better to northern new england winters better than the stacked stones it replaced (they collapsed by the way). Sometimes new materials are indeed better - and so long as they dont detract from the look fell and ambiance of the place I think they are fine. Another example being my remodeled bath has copper plumbing under the floors - not lead.

3) nope... if you were about to tare off rare original old paper... see reply #1... but agin it is your choice, and the key here is how you approach this community with it, and what you might expect in return.

I think the nastiness came from him actually, something about sticks and rear ends <grin>

This guy comes to the forum - a forum dedicated to preservation - and starts saying how he is tearing out original features then doesnt like the response. What really did he expect? I can only guess he was looking for a more "house flip" type group. Perhaps he needs to read what it says on the tin!
Mick...

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

I don't think anyone here would fault you for air conditioning or central heating. I mean climate change is making the summer heat more merciless as each decade goes by. My house was built before electricity - and I don't think anyone is going to quibble about my electric lights or plug in appliances, as new fangled as they were 100 years ago. Air conditioning is a nearly invisible improvement that does not affect the appearance of the house but improves its livability. My only criticism of it is how expensive it is to operate.

Not sure about the technicalities of cinder block used as a foundation repair with regards to it being structurally sound for the long run - but I assume most foundation repairs are invisible when completed. To me structural integrity is more important than historical credibility ? I don't know of many extreme purists who would demand the earliest version of drywall to repair an existing wall to be 100% accurate for example. That is sort of a triviality when it is skimmed and painted. However - an antique light fixture takes up much less volume in a room than a sheet of drywall (or whatever the early 20th c. version was called) - but that antique historically accurate light fixture can really "make" the room and set the tone.

I also like wallpaper in theory but not in practice to live with. It is too busy, expensive and fragile for my life.That is okay - we are not living in museums. If you look through people's pics of their homes there are many different approaches to preservation/restoration/renovation. Historical accuracy varies from geographic region, original class of the owner, and regional tastes (color schemes, etc.). A small farm house in rural Ontario has different things going on with it than a grand Baltimore mansion or antebellum house in the south, and many or most of the historical details are NOT interchangeable even though they may be from the same period of time. A single person in their 50's living in an upscale historical district of a major city probably has different concerns/tastes/needs for their house v.s. a young rural family with small children.

I know my feathers just felt...ruffled...by the posts by Denali (Denial ?) in that it seemed like a conspicuous display of look what I've got (Like I wish I had been able to buy any house for $ 250.00 where I am - not even
$ 250,000.00 will buy you a wrecked starter home in the worst location where I am - major city). The house he bought had a bunch of original things in pretty good condition - and some things that really needed repair - and some unhappy amateur attempts at renos that needed undoing/fixing. He started off talking about restoration, sort of, but then wasn't open to listening or researching and basically had his mind made up BEFORE he got here. He seemed to enjoy the ego stroking about his purchase but wasn't open at all to questions or suggestions. This is, after all, a space for old home owners (and maybe a some hopeful future old home owners) to share info and resources and the occasional bragging rights and sorrows/mishaps.

Replacement windows are the place where new old home owners usually make their first mistake - and when people jumped in to advise about that - I don't think he was even listening. I don't know that I even believe that the replacement windows were there when he bought the place. Did he even buy the place for $ 250.00 ? Who knows ? Who cares ?

I did a lot of learning as a newbie here by reading the archives and following links and listening in to conversations. I can't say that I always agree with other's choices or taste. I wouldn't pipe up unless the person asked for input - or I had previous experience with a bad product (I'm looking at you Kohler toilet). If I asked for advice or an opinion - well - that is what I would expect to get ! I don't feel like anyone was nasty here - so much as exasperated/concerned. It's hard seeing someone on a route to destruction with something like original windows - that you personally have been searching for years to find the right size, etc.

I think that the members here have been tactful and supportive, and pretty gentle in the questioning of newbies and regulars alike.

I think showing the sales receipt for the $ 2,000.00 big box faux Craftsman door/sidelight combo - to replace what is already there - the original - just pushed people over the edge ! I know it made me feel like this poster was a clueless show-off who wasn't sincere.

What did others think ? Am I outta line here ?

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

I agree, lovesickest. The responses to him seemed like perfectly civil requests for him to reconsider destroying original features. Nobody was telling him that he couldn't do it -- He was just outraged that anyone would dare disapprove.

I wouldn't want this site to be one where people were too afraid of hurting someone's feeling to voice an opinion about something so important to us.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

lovesickest wrote:
What did others think ? Am I outta line here ?

Not in the slightest IMHO. I agree with everything you said.
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Well said guys and girls.

Very disappointing end to such a pretty little house.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

So I did a little rudimentary sleuthing. Denali posted almost identical info and pics on at least two other forums on or around the same date he showed up here, not including his single post on the Old House Web's dead forum. It seems almost verbatim (minus the interior pics). What gives ?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283871

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=259794