Please help - window restoration Southern Ontario?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Please help - window restoration Southern Ontario?

Post by KirstenN (WavyGlass) »

There's a long story behind this, but the short version is that I am trying to save the original windows in a family-owned house in downtown Toronto. One of the contractors was willing to talk about refurbishing the original 42 windows on this beautiful old house, but the sub to do the work would have been coming up from the US and the price was astronomical. The other two contractors (including the one who was eventually chosen) flatly state they don't have anyone who can do it.

One of the owners admits that she heard of a "guy near Stratford" who does this. Can anyone here tell me who that might be, and how to contact him? I would gladly pay for someone to come to Toronto and give an opinion and quote, and talk to the owners. They are open to refurb rather than replace, but they just can't see how to make it happen, and I'm struggling to help.

It kills me because the windows are in such great shape. There are hardly any broken panes, they open and shut fine (not painted closed like mine are), and pulleys, ropes, and weights are all fine. I don't see any signs of rot or other deterioration in the wood anywhere, and that includes the storm windows, which all exist. It's a perfect candidate but they could be lost simply because there are no local tradespeople!

Kirsten

edited to add: I've tried searching the web but searching for anything to do with "windows" just floods me with replacement vinyl, and it's making me crazy!

heartwood

Re: Please help - window restoration Southern Ontario?

Post by heartwood »

do a search for edifice magazine in ontario...they should have a list of folks in your area who work on windows...indeed, it's best to find someone who is knowledgeable and well versed in working on old windows...

you may also want to contact steve swiat (swy-it) of northwood restoration in buffalo...he knows chris (??) the guy who owns edifice...he's done some work in canada...

good luck!!
...jade

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Thanks Jade; I checked out their resource guide and I've got emails out to the two window places mentioned, J. Stowe Restoration in Hamilton and Northwood Restoration in Buffalo. Hamilton is not too far away, so I hope something comes of that!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hope someone comes through for you! i have known steve for many years...he's actually a friend and we've worked on a few jobs together...you won't find a more honest guy (and he has a daughter named kristen!)...
...jade

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Northwood recommended Stowe Restoration, and he came out to see the house last week. We're eagerly awaiting a quote early next week.

It was so nice to see all the homeowners nodding and saying things like "this could work"! Thanks for the recommendations!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oops, i spoke with my friend steve owner of northwood and he brought to my attention that your name is kIrsten, not kRisten--sorry!

well, that's good news...i look forward to hearing how you make out with your window proposal...

...jade

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

I think that the "guy near Stratford" is http://www.paradigmshiftcustoms.com

I haven't used his services (yet - I hope to) but the work on the site looks really good.

Maybe if your friend needs a second opinion ? Plus he also carries Sarco putty for you Canadian DIY folks.

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Thanks Jane and lovesickest...

We got the quote, and I met (and had a day-long meeting) with the general contractor today.

I should not have signed up under my real name, because I feel like I can't go into too much detail, or it will come back to haunt me!

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

I just wanted to resurrect this thread long enough to say that we did use Jamie Stowe, from Hamilton, for the windows in the house I own (which is oddly enough not the house I was asking for the first time).

He did an AMAZING job and I'm thrilled with the result!

The sashes are all fully restored, copper sprung weatherstripping, new pulleys, rope and weights where needed, new or restored hardware, etc. etc. etc. Every detail is just about perfect.

ALSO... He restored the original storm windows on the bay window that still had them. On the other 8 windows, which were all on the second floor, he designed and fabricated storm windows that look just like the originals, but the bottom piece of glass comes out and can be replaced (from inside! no ladders!) with a screen panel instead.

houseinthecountry (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by houseinthecountry (WavyGlass) »

I just found my way over to this site from oldhouseweb.org Did you ever find out who the guy near Stratford was? Hoffmeyers is the first place that sprung to my mind when I read the thread (then saw it was over a year old). It's in Sebringville, just outside of Stratford.