Speaking of old house plans...

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
nezwick
Knows the area

Re: Speaking of old house plans...

Post by nezwick »

I highly doubt my house's builder utilized any "plans" more complex than a rough sketch in a notebook.

The oldest part of the house was built in 1875 and as far as I have been able to tell, it included two original closets: small, sloped-ceiling closet under the staircase in the dining room exactly like Locust Quarter is describing; and a walk-in, complete with window for airing clothes, in the front bedroom.

One thing I have not been able to determine is the original use of the space upstairs now occupied by the bathroom. It's possible that it was originally a VERY small bedroom (nursery) or it was part of the rear bedroom, or a closet for the rear bedroom. I'll probably never know.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Alan,
Maybe your room was for "stuff." Our strange room is close to the sleeping porch. Maybe cots were stored there in the off-season??
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Kansas,

Thanks for your input. I've always been curious about the space. Here's a somewhat accurate upstairs floor plan layout. The bathroom is 5' x 6' which is just smaller, square-footage-wise, than my walk-in closet (4' x 8'). The wall containing the door to the bathroom doesn't match the construction of the rest of the house (studded, with drywall - instead of vertical plank with lath/plaster) so it was obviously added or restructured at a later date.

Upstairs.jpg
Upstairs.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 723 times

If the room was originally just part of the upstairs landing, I see that as a huge waste of space, and in a <800 ft2 house, that space is precious. Perhaps it was just a "stuff" room originally, and when they converted to a bathroom in the 1930's-40's they needed a studded wall to install the plumbing.

Master bedroom is an early addition, which is still probably older than 1900 (built with cut nails like the old part instead of wire nails).

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I bet it was part of the upstairs landing. If there is a window, it seems ventilation would be good. Just open the window and let air go all the way through that floor.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

KJS (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by KJS (WavyGlass) »

I've also heard small rooms like that called trunk rooms.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Our master bath was a bedroom originally but was converted in 1947 when inside plumbing was installed.

Vintrest (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by Vintrest (WavyGlass) »

Oddly, the master bedroom in our 1889 Ft. Worth home did not have closets. We did as they did originally and placed two antique wardrobes in different corners. A second bedroom has a "closet" if you can charitably call it that as it is about 18 inches deep by four feet wide with an upper shelf and was plastered on the walls and ceiling with a plain baseboard inside but outside with a matching raised panel door, millwork trim and corner blocks that match the rest of the room. A heck of a lot of trouble for a diminutive closet. The third bedroom, which documentation suggests was added in 1897, has a slightly more generous closet but still modest in size compared to modern versions. My conclusion is that early family members mostly utilized wardrobes and chests for clothing and personal storage. One family lived in our home for over 97 years. (from May 1890 to Oct. 1988 when the last family member died-we bought the property in 1989 thus being only the second family to own it) We could add closets and otherwise modernize the house in many ways but prefer to honor the past and keep things as original as possible. Intact Victorian era homes are scarce.

Don M

Post by Don M »

A lot of folks had few clothes; everyday work clothes & one good suit or dress for church. they had no need for large closets just a peg behind the door was sufficient for most!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

My house had no closets, they are made from beadboard and added in the corners. The rear bedroom has an added stairwell to the attic there is a Harry Potter closet under it.
Attachments
Front Closet.jpg
Front Closet.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Neighmond,
Look at all the space you have. You have an empty closet. You were trying to tell us your house was very small. It lives like a castle.
My closets are full.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare