What was your heating bill?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
boomer59 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Re: What was your heating bill?

Post by boomer59 (WavyGlass) »

We live in a home built 1893. We just had a new gas boiler for steam installed. A replacement for the 50 year old steam boiler. Before the replacement the gas averaged 400.00 a month.

This winter our most expensive bill was 280.00. Low was 120.00 2600 sf home, original wavy glass windows, no insulation. Temp set at 75 all winter. We live In Ohio.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

That's encouraging. I was reading on some random forum dealing with older boilers and many were arguing for maintaining the old systems and saying the efficiency gains weren't enough justification. It does seem some old equipment can't be replaced in terms of quality and simplicity. And clearly the price of fuel drives that equation. But I also have to think the newer technology does burn cleaner and more efficiently. Also, while I haven't confirmed this, one thing I read said some of the new boilers burn clean enough (or something to that effect) to where a chimney might not need lined. Some, I read, even vent through PVC piping. But I need to read more. Our boiler vents through one of two unlined flues in a chimney. Not having to line it would be a significant savings and would then offset the cost of a new boiler.

boomer59 wrote:We live in a home built 1893. We just had a new gas boiler for steam installed. A replacement for the 50 year old steam boiler. Before the replacement the gas averaged 400.00 a month.

This winter our most expensive bill was 280.00. Low was 120.00 2600 sf home, original wavy glass windows, no insulation. Temp set at 75 all winter. We live In Ohio.

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

historicalwork wrote:Also, while I haven't confirmed this, one thing I read said some of the new boilers burn clean enough (or something to that effect) to where a chimney might not need lined. Some, I read, even vent through PVC piping. But I need to read more. Our boiler vents through one of two unlined flues in a chimney. Not having to line it would be a significant savings and would then offset the cost of a new boiler.

Our new boiler is vented directly out of the house using PVC pipes supplied by the boiler manufacturer. We initially asked the contractor to look into running the venting lines through the existing chimney flue (for appearance reasons), but they decided it would be too difficult because the flue has some bends in it. We're hoping to use the now-abandoned flue to run refrigerant lines for the A/C system we're considering - two different contractors told me that it should be possible.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hmm... that's pretty interesting. Our boiler dates from 1985. Seven years ago when it was converted from steam to hot water, the contractor advised not replacing it for just the reasons historicalwork mentions, but now I wonder how much I could be saving.

Chris

JamesReed (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by JamesReed (WavyGlass) »

Central Maine, built ~1898, about 3000 square feet, all original windows, about half of which have new aluminum storms. Heat is via original steam radiators, with new (2005) Burnham boiler. Insulation is as good as I could manage without major reconstruction. Averages about 1100 gallons of heating oil per year, which also provides year-round hot water. For calendar year 2012, that worked out to about $4500. I miss one-dollar-per-gallon oil!
Attachments
house.jpg
house.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 701 times

MySharona (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by MySharona (WavyGlass) »

Heating isnt an issue here as we are in Az if that says much, so running heat is very little, we get excited when we get to use our fireplace a few times

BUT remember good ole Az gets in the 100s for mos on end and stays that high all night. So I have had the the AC bills. We are here a year now.

Our highest month was July last year $308! And we have a little house 1100 sq feet. The previous tenants had the bedroom windows all replaced with double pane wood casement windows. And two in the dining room also replaced.

We participated in a local city program, that extends to the center of town and historic homes to make them more efficient, they test your ac system, ducts, home for leakage, windows, attic, etc.

As a result we got new insulation blown in the attic and sun window screens for any of our windows that get heavy sun exposure, and we had the inside of our dining room built ins sealed as air was escaping behind those too. The city was offering double rebates, so in the end we only paid a few hundred dollars for over $1000 worth of work.

So we are running through our second summer here, we also covered the fireplace as its just open. We invested in a portable evap cooler also and our lower rate times here is 7pm to Noon weekdays, so I try to keep the AC on during those times and off during the peak time.

So far results are

June 2012 $235
June 2013 $168

But keep in mind, you pretty much have to be running A/C in the Az desert.

So I just get hit on the electric end during the summer, but Im experimenting and seeing how things are with the work we had done, etc.

Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Haldeman1773 (WavyGlass) »

JamesReed wrote:Averages about 1100 gallons of heating oil per year, which also provides year-round hot water. For calendar year 2012, that worked out to about $4500. I miss one-dollar-per-gallon oil!

I wish I could heat this joint on 1100 gallons!

By any chance, the same James Reed who repairs vintage KitchenAid mixers?

Beautiful place, you have there!

vt guy (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by vt guy (WavyGlass) »

I live in a 1865 house in central vt and have done everything i can think of new windows, doors, furnace. it has blown in rock wool done in the early 1950's. Heating is oil forced hot air and my usage for last year was 400 gals and that also includes hot water as i have a oil fired water heater so i dont think that its too bad.