The case of the missing doorbell

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Ireland House
Been here a while

The case of the missing doorbell

Post by Ireland House »

on the front of our house there is a doorbell button. Behind the button is a wire that looks like it turns up, But if you go to the attic there is no wire coming up through the wall. We also cannot find the bell itself. Any ideas on how to trace the wire without opening walls and or how to find the the bell
Today is my happily ever after.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: The case of the missing doorbell

Post by CS in Low Hud »

We had a missing bell, as well, in our place. You could press the button, but nothing happened, and while I could find the wires and the old transformer in the basement, where they went after that was a mystery. On a lark, I replaced the transformer, but that did not seem to make a difference. So I assumed that the bell had been long-ago removed. One day I was in the kitchen standing next to one of the walls when someone rang the bell. I heard a muffled "clunk-clonk" from inside the wall. after I cut a hole, I found the bell, which, when cleaned up and re-mounted, works perfectly.

All I can think of is that the transformer crapped out, and a former PO decided it was the bell and just shoved into the wall to get rid of it during some kitchen re-do.

Chris

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I watched the electricians at work trace burried wires. They send a signal thru them and have a detector (like a metal detector) that beeps when in the proximity of the wire. You might hire an electrician for an hour to trace where it goes.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Tone tracers aren't expensive... decent ones should be available for less than $100 (mine was something like €90 and electronics tend to be cheaper in the US) and they are a godsend! SO far I've mainly used mine for locating buried splices, and I've managed to spot some +/- 1/2" in a solid brick wall!

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

I use these at work a few times every year. The generic name is a fox & hound. Here's a link to just one example: http://www.electronic-supply.com/toneprobekit.htm

When I googled it, there were also some you tube videos showing how to use them.
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the transformer could be inside an electrical box,or attached to the outside of a box some of them are made to install that way.
one could measure across the button to see if there is any power there, should be some power, maybe 12 to 14 VAC.

There isn't anything too expensive , just the bell, the wires, and the little transformer. I found mine by following the wires and it was in the basement between the open joist but someone could have covered it or installed it inside a box, or even screwed on the outside of the box. I'd replace it before I tore the house apart looking for it. If I were to install a new one I'd probably locate it near the bell or near one of the buttons to make wiring easier for myself. I woudn't put it in the attic, but somewhere easy to install it and could be anywhere the bell wires run.

you might be able to open any junction boxes nearby and look for bolts that might be securing the transformer to the outside of the box, but with old houses, who knows the thing could be anywhere and may or may not be connected using a junction box.
you can buy one of those tracer things. I have used them and they work but the price of any parts will exceed the cost of the tool.

if you switch off breakers while getting someone to ring the bell you can figure out what circuit the thing is on, if it works, or if it is at least producing voltage. that might give you a clue.

christine (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by christine (WavyGlass) »

If you are unable to find the wire so it underground wiring going with electric wiring you can check the points or check your home is there any point of the bell or empty point otherwise bring electrician he will solve the issue.
chris

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hi Christine... and welcome to the forum. I notice that you joined yesterday and already posted five times. That's great! We'd love to hear more about you - maybe see some photos of YOUR house?

The reason I ask is that you SOUND like... well... a spammer. Perhaps English is not your first language, but there is something about the sentence structure, the randomness to your posts (both in the threads you choose and the content of what you write) and the lack of personal details, that makes me strongly suspect that this is the case. If I am wrong, please correct me... and tell us about yourself. We all are a bit overly sensitive to possible spammers.

If I am right, however, please go back to OHW, where I notice you have also been posting similar content (under the name "alex", but also signed "chris" and also five posts). The spammers can enjoy their own company there, and post their random and surreal comments on each other's threads, to their hearts content. This neighborhood is much better patrolled.

I look forward to your reply.

Chris

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Funny, I thought the same thing! Nice post C S in Low Hud, not to confuse you with Christine or Alex or AKA Chris! :)

Susan

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

....and this is why I love coming to this forum!