Jade

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
tjcoffice
Just Arrived

Jade

Post by tjcoffice »

Perhaps someone has mentioned this already, but Jade Mortimer is mentioned prominently in the April/May issue of OHJ. She discusses her methods for restoring old windows. Good job, Jade!

heartwood

Re: Jade

Post by heartwood »

um, i think i tooted my own horn a while back letting folks know there would be an article about the lyman estate and, oh, i just happen to be in it! the owners HISTORIC NEW ENGLAND, endeavored to reduce energy consumption by 50% with upgrades that did not affect the historic architecture of the building...i think they are at a 40% savings currently...

HISTORIC NEW ENGLAND is the oldest historic society in the US owning approximately 36 mansions/farms/houses...we have developed a good relationship over the years and my business, heartwood window restoration, is forturnate to have worked on a number of very impressive homes...

thanks tom! as a young person (many decades ago!), i hitchhiked across the US and made a point to stop in san antonio as my father was based at the air force base there back in the 1950's...

...jade
Last edited by heartwood on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

I DID see that! Meant to say so. Yay jade!

Chris

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

Woohoo...

Nice to 'see' you again Jade

For anyone not in the know - Jade worked on one of our windows, DH and myself were able to meet her at a free workshop here in MA

She is very generous with materials and advice, she deserves any credit for the work she does to save old windows
All she has to do now is sell the newer house and move into an money pit antique :)

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ha, alyson, i am indeed looking at an 1850's vernacular with a tiny spit of land that is in walking distance of a little village that is quintisential new england surrounded by mountains with a river running through it.....the house retains most of it's original character but take one guess what has been replaced? yup, the dang windows! some of the original sash are in the basement so i plan to get them back where they belong....

i am a strong woman but, dang, the photo in the magazine is not complimentary!! i like to think that that is not really what i look like.... :shock: :lol:

...jade

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

Congratulations!

Can't wait to see if you acquire the property and want to see pictures!

Jill

Don M

Post by Don M »

Congratulations on the article & good luck acquiring your new old house!

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

Not only did I see it but I had to show it off to my friends and family! They had heard me talk about Jade (along with so many of the other generous craftspersons who share their knowledge here/there) many times - so it was fun to be able to "show her off" :)
Jade, how exciting about the house prospect! Update as you can please!!!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass) »

Congrats, Jade! Great article. I have the copy of OHJ sitting here on my desk at work!

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

Congrats Jade!

I have to go look and see if I have that issue... For unrelated issues we had let our sub lapse ( we mostly read early american life now, not much pre-victorian coverage in OHJ)
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape