New member buyng an old house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Parx400 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

New member buyng an old house

Post by Parx400 (WavyGlass) »

Hi Everyone,

My Fiance and I are almost ready to move into our new old home. Closing next week. We searched long and hard trying to find a house in midtown Sacramento we could afford. We ending up with this home that was built in 1905. What’s Strange about this house is there are three of them in a row all identical. I have not seen that anywhere else in midtown Sacramento and would like to find out the history of it.

http://tours.topnotch360.net/public/vto ... /77228?a=1

We wanted to finds something around 2000SF that was not “UPDATED” with Modern garbage. Unfortunately we are too young to afford anything like that in the area we wanted to live. Here is the history that I know of about the house. I grew up in a old farm house that had par of it built in 1880 and the remainder built in 1906. I love old houses and despise the burbs cookie cutter homes.
This house was built in 1905 and was added on to sometime after that. The add on is kind bad with really low ceilings. The previous owners bought the house out of foreclosure and it was a mess. It was a 5/2.5 at the time. The original house was 3/1.5 at about 1500 SF. The upstairs add on gave it two extra bed rooms. The down stairs part gave it addition kitsch space plus a small family room.
The current owners knocked the wall out between two original rooms and 1 add on room and created a large master bedroom, a large walk in closet and a laundry room upstairs. The other add on room was turned into two small rooms with a full bath between them. The last original room is still untouched with tall ceilings (Pink kids room in the pictures).

Current owners also gutting the electrical and plumbing and replaced everything. Heat and AC were all new in 2006 as was the roof.

Total SF of the house is 2,115 sf now (verified, it’s been wrong on every listing). It’s a 4/3. Below all of this is a 1050sf basement that is 7-6 feet tall depending where you are standing. The house sits high off the ground so most of the basement is really first floor level. There is a large 5x4 food door on the side of the house to get in there.

The down stairs has an original dining room and living room. I believe the opening to the dining room by the front door is not original based on its lack of trim. The ceilings are still tall here. The kitchen has forced air tunnels all over it so it looks kinds funny. All the original windows are gone, it’s a mix of Aluminum from like the 70’s and vinyl.
The siding on the house is all covered in vinyl. I pulled some back and the original siding is still there and looks ok. Has like 20 coats of paint on it. I’m not sure if the addition has the same siding but I think it does. There is some wood rot back there I have to deal with so I will know soon enough.

Our plan is to work with what we have to try to make the new stuff look as original as we can and persevere what we have left. I will post lots of pictures as we get going.

Does anyone know the style of this roof line? I have only seen one other house with it in the are besides the two matching houses next to mine.

Anyways thanks for looking. I was on the Old house forum first but it seems everyone is going here now.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: New member buyng an old house

Post by SkipW »

Welcome!

That is a beautiful house and looks to be in perfect shape in the pictures.

Nice find and feel free to post more pics as you uncover items.
Etta says "WOOF"

Parx400 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Back wall of basement. This is the newer part of the house.

yorkmoore (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by yorkmoore (WavyGlass) »

What a cute place! Congrats!
~Stephanie

"We shape our buildings; thereafter, our buildings shape us." ~Winston Churchill

Parx400 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Here is a picture of all three houses. I wish I knew the history of this. I have been all over Sacramento and never seen three of the same house in a row in the historical areas. Maybe they were part of the old fair grounds. They have alot less wavy trim stuff than the other houses do.

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Interestingly enough, on a historic street in a nearby town there are three houses that are the same, just as yours. They have been known as the three sisters for probably 100 years or more. There are no other houses that look like them in any areas nearby. I have not looked into the true history of the houses but I'm sure it would be an interesting read.....
Etta says "WOOF"

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by KirstenN (WavyGlass) »

What an attractive house! I love the overhanging roof line with the corbels (is that right?) underneath.

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

If you visit your local library, the county clerk's office and any historical societies your town has, you will probably find some good info about your house.
Diane

hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass) »

Great looking house. Congratulation on your purchase and I wish you the best of luck during the move-in!

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

loooove those cove ceilings