ill bite... how do you keep your old windows and not freeze?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
heartwood

Re: ill bite... how do you keep your old windows and not fre

Post by heartwood »

oh, i forgot to add to my long post that i live in massachusetts and use ben moore impervo oil paints...there is one for interior on one for exterior...the exterior is only available in quarts...the gallon of oil paint is 'super spec'...i ask about the difference but noone will fess up...

..jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

You can still mail-order oil paint and primer. Act fast. Probably only in qts. or smaller.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Lakee911 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by Lakee911 (WavyGlass) »

SkipW wrote:I have had a glass company make single deadlights for my old single pane windows.

Can your elaborate on this? What are they and how do they work? I don't like storm windows either.
http://1921foursquare.wordpress.com -- A blog about buying, improving, and living in a 1921 American Four Square in Clintonville.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Same as everyone else has said. All panes reglazed, and bronze weatherstripping. Crumbling wood fixed with Rot Doctor, and all new paint. Then we installed storms from Allied Window. They were certainly expensive, but you barely notice them. We were able to drive an hour and pick them up from the factory, which saved about $600 in shipping costs. Our windows are from 1865, and we have no drafts from any of them. I only wish I could count on every other part of my house lasting 150 years.

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

Is there a big box supplier of specialty weatherstripping? I'd rather pick it up than order it online...

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

nan-nan wrote:Is there a big box supplier of specialty weatherstripping? I'd rather pick it up than order it online...

I've not found anyone locally who carries "old" styles of weatherstripping, so I'll probably be ordering online.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

restoration of old windows as described and addition of interior storms with or without exterior storms:

This is not my picture but one I got off line to save in my ideas folder.

cold floors (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by cold floors (WavyGlass) »

huh... i found some of these in my basement!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

http://www.accurateweatherstrip.com/index.html
The home of metal w-strips.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Lakee911 wrote:
SkipW wrote:I have had a glass company make single deadlights for my old single pane windows.

Can your elaborate on this? What are they and how do they work? I don't like storm windows either.

What I term 'deadlights' are single pane storm panels that are made to my dimensions. The company I use makes them using aluminum frames (white in my case) that have a fuzzy weatherstrip on the inside. I mount them using dogs or cam locks on the face of the window casing. You need to allow some air movement or you will get wicked condensation issues inside the panel, as the old double hungs DO leak warm air into the cavity.

I will try and get a pic for you of one of my windows, right now we have a town-wide power outage and I'm on generator and the Time Warner box at the street is on battery backup!
Etta says "WOOF"