Still kicking myself!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Alyson
Settling in

Still kicking myself!

Post by Alyson »

Last summer a car parked in the driveway of the Purple House. So I did what I usually do and leaned against the porch column (Arms folded, kind of staking my claim :) ) waiting for them to either reverse out or come and ask for directions. Neither will be the first time and probably not the last.

Wouldn't you know? She drove down the drive, got out of the car and explained that she used to live in the Purple House when she was a child.

Do you really need to ask? Of course I invited her in! We toured the house, she shared stories, lots of reminiscing. When they left, her husband shook my hand and said "Thank you very much". I said that if the tour had made her day? Then I was more than happy. He said "You have no idea"

Did I ask if she had any old photos of the Purple House? - DUH! STUPID! NOOOO... don't go!!!

However, during the reminiscing she told me her brothers name, the street where he lives here in town. I just have to pluck up the courage to call him.

heartwood

Re: Still kicking myself!

Post by heartwood »

what a wonderful experience!!!

you are NOT stupid...perhaps you were just stupified and at a loss for words...i say this is just the first chapter of many in finding out more about your house and perhaps making new friends...

here's some COURAGE give the brother a call...

...jade

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

Do it! While I was planning my roof replacement I'd knock on peoples doors to ask what type of roof they had. yeah, it was kind of awkward explaining what I wanted but everyone was really friendly and some would even dig through files to show me old receipts of who installed it and how much it was.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

If you don't call him, then you have every right to kick yourself! :)
Warren

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Call the brother. I tried to contact one of the girls who grew up in my house, she referred me to her brother, who came forth with stories and pictures. I have photos of his grandparents wedding photo and his parents. The house photos didn't go further back than 1966 but I guess it is still something. I also got a film when his girlfriend did a "walk through" and saw what the house looked like before the house flipper got a hold of it.

One word: Call.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

If you're uncomfortable calling, why don't you send them a letter, complete with a photograph of how the house looks today?

oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass) »

When it comes to personal memories, people are generally very open about sharing their past. I would call the brother. If it were me, I would have been so excited to share the house with someone else who appreciates its history and character that I would probably forget to ask the basic questions too. You just give him a call and provide your phone number and e-mail address in case he has anything to share. I found the great-great granddaugher of my home's builder/first owner through ancestry.com. I invited her to a house tour we were one and she came and brought her aunt. Later. the sent me the family genealogy and pictures of the first owner and his wife and children. This didn't happen overnight; I established a relationship with them and they send me things/info now and then. Go ahead and make contact. You never know what you will find out about your house. Good luck!

1880 stick (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by 1880 stick (WavyGlass) »

Definitely call and explain to the brother the visit you had with his sister. I was also ask to see if you can get an address or telephone number. If neither he or she has photographs then maybe they might know of a relative that does. I am not sure what their ages are, but if too much time slips by they might be gone. We got to know the last family member of the second owner who bought the house in 1904, after she had passed her sons found several photographs and also the second owners original mortgage paperwork. If you are able to connect with the woman, you might be surprised what else she or someone else in the family remembers... What is the worst that can happen....
Theo. & Alice Fries
Lyons, NY

bofusmosby (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by bofusmosby (WavyGlass) »

After I bought my old house, I found out that the son of the original owner was born in my house in 1923, and he was still alive! I got his number, called him, and invited him and his wife to my house. They came and visited, and told us (my wife and I) many stories, as well as a lot of unknown history. It would seem that his father took thousands of photographs of the old place, when when he passed in 1985, the house was sold with all the furnishings and photos. Unfortunately, all of those photographs are now long gone, and the oldest photos I now have date from the late 1980's (given to me by a later owner). CALL THE BROTHER!!!
Just a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

The brother already knows about you. He also knows what the house looks like. No doubt, he has done a drive-by recently, right after his sister came over. The timing is right to give him a call and let it go to voice mail. If he's interested, he will return the call.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare