LVL cut in half?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: LVL cut in half?

Post by SkipW »

Midge82 wrote:Thanks for the further responses.
1850 Farmer, might you have any info on what attachment bolt pattern would meet code?

Vvzz, I believe the LVL is just attached to the beam, not resting on foundation walls. The Lally column is not really bearing the weight of it, as the LVL is in front of the old beam - and only the old beam rests on the lally column.

Then this is NOT load bearing, it is just a new attachment point for the joists and does not provide any more support than the beam. If you want the contractor to install one that IS load bearing, it would have to rest on the foundation walls (or have a column there or similar) and be supported by a column at the cut.
Etta says "WOOF"

1850Farmer
Knows the back streets

Post by 1850Farmer »

Local codes may vary and I know you are attaching to dimensional lumber, but this link should help w/a 2 ply TRUSSLOK pattern, normally used for attaching 2 LVL's together.

http://internationalbeams.com/wp-conten ... -LVL-2.pdf

FYI: Subfloor adhesive applied on top of the floor joist before install, or forced in by “caulking the joints” between the already installed joist tops and the floor will help eliminate squeaking in the floor. :thumbup:

Midge82
Just Arrived

Post by Midge82 »

Thank you, 1850 Farmer. And everyone else who responded.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

SkipW wrote:
Midge82 wrote:Thanks for the further responses.
1850 Farmer, might you have any info on what attachment bolt pattern would meet code?

Vvzz, I believe the LVL is just attached to the beam, not resting on foundation walls. The Lally column is not really bearing the weight of it, as the LVL is in front of the old beam - and only the old beam rests on the lally column.

Then this is NOT load bearing, it is just a new attachment point for the joists and does not provide any more support than the beam. If you want the contractor to install one that IS load bearing, it would have to rest on the foundation walls (or have a column there or similar) and be supported by a column at the cut.

It bears as much weight as it transfers to the old beam via the fasteners. And that can be improved by using three of those ledgerlock or headlock screws every 16 inches.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have a tool I have never used. it's like a big milling cutter but it has a specific use. It will drill a 1/2"or 5/8" or so hole or so hole and also make a big indent for a special heavy duty thick washer. I think the idea is that you then can put a bolt through the washer and it spreads the load so it's not all concentrated on just the bolt hole. I'm not sure of the exact use but I thought maybe for sistering beams together. It has little replaceable HSS cutters. I don't know if it would be of use in a situation like this?

when I built my front stairs I used some pretty decent 2x12's for the stringers. I guess maybe it was a bit overkill but I bought some of those metal plates and put epoxy on them , and scewed them to both sides stringers thinking they would be less likely to crack. I have sometimes seen them split along the grain where the tread bears down on the stringer. I think one had a little crack that concerned me so I strengthened them all up to make sure it wasn't an issue after the stringers were installed.