Dining room colors

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Re: Dining room colors

Post by SarahFair »

Light switches?
The paint squares? lol

I definitely want a darker dining room.
Maybe about the color i painted on there, then a off white or a linen white above the picture rail?

Would that look odd with the trim being white?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I'm still learning a lot about what's "period" or "expected". So take this with a grain of salt.

I think all trim (unless one is going to town and painting bits like each detail of the crown/coffering in many colors) in a room is usually the same color no matter what is on the walls/ceiling. So I don't think it has to match the bottom or even middle third division of your wall.

Paint that light atop the picture rail will help the room feel taller, especially if it's close to or matches the ceiling color. It's done all the time. So I don't think it would be weird at all.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

In some eras and home styles it was common to paint the area above the picture rail the same color as the ceiling. The one place in our house where we have a picture rail set down from the ceiling, that's what we've done. The ceiling is a basic ceiling white, millwork is "Ivory Tusk", and the wall is "Asian Jute".

Last edited by mjt on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily left the valley

mjt, that's simply stunning. Those windows! That table isn't anything to sneeze at either. Beautiful.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Thanks. There's an album of staircase photos, including some before and after,here. There are a couple where you can see the windows better. The center window has curved sashes and glass.

The old color scheme was very "cold", washed everything out, and you couldn't see the detail in the millwork.

Though it's not an antique, the table has an interesting story behind it and has a lot of gorgeous inlay detail on its top. A friend found it in the clearance room at a local shop. It had been accidentally mis-marked to perhaps 30% of what it should have been in the clearance room, let alone from retail. Our friend called to let us know what she'd found and that they'd honor the price if we could pick it up that day. No-brainer for me...

Lily left the valley

Thanks for the other pictures, mjt, and I love stories. :D

Sorry to threadjack, Sarah! Let us know how the narrowing down is going.