Staining/Painting choices over white painted wood work

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Staining/Painting choices over white painted wood work

Post by Wackyshack »

I am 80% finished with the hallway project. I am loving the new low oder/no oder paints by Benny Moore. No one even noticed I painted due to lack of smell.
I had an older can of paint I touched up around the sink in the bathroom and that room smelled like paint for 2 days.

I want to darken the baseboard in the parlor. The white screams out at you. The baseboard is that fake wood stuff el cheapo house flipper dipper installed. But old house broke (me) can't afford real fancy wood ones so painting or staining are my choices now.

I did try gel stain in the sewing room on the same type of base board. No unhappy with the results but wonder if there is something better out there I might have not considered.

This place is the ultimate think tank.... love the ideas.

I also have to do the doorway inside the room. The white has gotta go.
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 7.03.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 7.03.42 AM.png (420.22 KiB) Viewed 391 times
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Staining/Painting choices over white painted wood work

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi. I think that if you are going to put any sort of transparent colour product on the trim, you probably need to paint it first, in a colour that replicates a raw wood, a tan or something. White will always show through. Re product: I've used a varathane product that was stain/ finish combined. I've also used something similar called Circa 1850 Stain'n Varnish, which was thicker and easier to control. Here's the link
http://www.swingpaints.com/product/770/ ... 7n-Varnish

--mal

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you should watch a few videos on Utube. Look for Faux wood graining. You can get the rubber tools from any good wood finishing supply place and then just find some scraps to practice on.
as an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3JHAGo9-m0

It sounds like MDF so you can't strip it. If you have a tablesaw you could also cut your choice of wood into thin "veneer" maybe like about 1/8" thick. Just glue it to the top and front, then run a roundover bit over it. if it's just a simple molding. I've done that and made up a hollow box for some of my trim over the windows as it needs to be 1" thick and I found a board I liked but it wasn't enough to make three so I sliced it into three. If you match the grain pattern and use all wood from the smae plank you can do it so no one notices it's not a solid board.

what I do is put he board over the tablesaw and make two cuts one on each side to slice off what I want , then use a handsaw to finish the cut if your blade won't lift high enough. I have a little thickness planer and if you have one there is a trick. Take a piece of flat MDF then glue the 1/4" thick piece that you cut off with hot melt glue. You only need a couple blobs to hold it from moving. then you can run both boards through together and that will make one flat side on the thin board that you cut. then you break the glue and you can flip the thin board over and make the two sides flat and even thickness to each other. If running thin stuff through the thickness planer is scary then you can glue it down a second time so that again both boards go through the planer together. the little rigid or dewalt or makita lunchbox planers are fine for the home workshop. In a commercial shop they may have better planers and sanders to do this but you can do it at home for not too much of you have the room and use for a few tools.

You can also get veneers and they have iron on ones or you can glue them on. since modern veneer is thin you'd need to glue a strip of real wood that matches to the top edge so you'd have enough "meat" to cut the roundover. the back and bottom side don't need to be veneered.

when veneering tables and things it's common to veneer both sides so it is even and lass likely to warp but I think I'd just paint the back. it gets nailed to the wall and I don't' think you'd have issues with warping. If it were a table or a shelf or something I'd veneer both sides.

or just hunt around. check craigslist or if you have an old house parts place they do get pulled out of houses they knock down. Ive replaced a few that way.
This summer I was lucky to get all the trim from a craftsman house. I didn't go in the house but I guess they just modernized it. Ive done that for most of my missing ones. when I did my attic I wanted it fast so I went and bought 3/4" edge grain knot free fir. the stuff is expensive. If I did it again I'd buy the boards a tad wide and then use that piece I ripped off to glue behind the top edge so it appeared to be 1 inch,, but i am happy with it since it was nice wood it doesn't look really out of place. It is expensive wood though..

there is noting wrong with the inside parts being MDF if you just cover it with real wood you;d never know unless you get a flood but its unlikely you would have an issue. If you didn't like using MDF you could just use pine or whatever you get cheap.

another way is to see if you have a small local mill around. they will cut custom orders and may even stock 5/4 (or 1 1/4") rough sawn lumber. I did that because I wanted 1" boards for the risers on my stairs. I got the wood green so I had to sticker and stack it and put a fan on it for a month or two but if you have time for it to dry, great. it did require trimming the edges on the tablesaw and I ran it through the thickness planer to get smooth concentric boards. By buying it rough sawn I didnt' pay so much and if you do that you cna get some extra for other projests and so you can high grade the stack a bit. what I do is order more and then select what I want and pieces with bad knots and things I trim down. large mills have lumber graders that separate the best boards out and charge high prices for knot free edge grain stuff. If you deal with a small mill youll get a more mixed run some boards may be unusable and others may be "perfect" I save the perfect ones for things like window sills and stuff that shows. this way I get some wood I really couldn't afford to buy otherwise. Of course the quality depends on the logs the mill is able to source but some cater to this sort of thing and it can be way cheaper than the lumberyard. forget the big box places.

anywhere there are a few ideas to explore if you choose.

Phil

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Mal... feeling rather foolish, but you found something that solves another problem and that is me staining the Andersen window which was supposed to be wood but had vinyl parts in it (home depot guy sold it to me and didn't explain modern wood windows are not all wood.... like people "wood" expect it to be). The 1850's stain covers that issue. The foolish part is that Factory Paint where I buy all my paints carries it, I just didn't go over to the stain isle yet.

Phil... you are the master. What you described sounds fantastic but I have not used more than a chop saw under supervision for clapboards. I would end up being called 'stumpy' if I did anything on a band saw or some of the other scary tools in my husband's basement. You are probably thinking I could ask him to cut some veneer... but he is not really that handy and I have been waiting for 7 yrs for him to put up the garden gates (they are next to the entrance of the garden as a nagging reminder) and a small tiny seed starting greenhouse for 9 years now. These 2 things I pull the nagging, crying card each season and yes 2016 has come and gone and neither of these things were done yet again this year as we celebrate 10 years in the house. He just spent 2 days this past week chipping down a stump in an area of the yard we don't use instead. The parts of the yard we use, get ignored almost wholesale.
Last edited by Wackyshack on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

If you have a lot of time on your hands, and a nice worktable you can set a guide upon with a "catch" ledge beneath, you could handsaw what Phil is suggesting to a point where it would difficult as the overall piece thins. Time consuming and a lot of elbow grease, but less risk of loss of limbs.

I know, I know, insanity in spades. I would have suggested a treadle bandsaw with proper supports, but who has one of those lying around these days?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well funny you should mention that Lily, just the other day I asked myself, were did I put that treadle saw, and dam, the braces are missing as well. :lol:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Ah-ha! I admit, Gothic, I added that last bit in the wild hopes that someone would admit to having one. ;-)

(...do you have a picture of it?)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.