How to get/mix the correct mortar for this

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

How to get/mix the correct mortar for this

Post by eclecticcottage »

I am in the process of closing on a lovely brick bungalow. 99% of the brick and mortar is in great shape. However around the porch/stairs isn't. Need some advice on how to repair this. Records say 1928 for build date. I know older (like 1800's) mortar is significantly different than what you can buy today and it's just not good to use with OLD brick. I don't know about more "modern" stuff though. Tips, tricks, thoughts, opinions, ideas? I'm decent with a trowel, must have watched my grandpa more than I thought lol (he was a carpenter and mason).

JRC

Re: How to get/mix the correct mortar for this

Post by JRC »

According to this TOH article, the big change to harder bricks and mortar happened in the 1930s.
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/repointing-brick

So, I guess I'd play it safe, and go with a softer lime mortar.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

It looks as if water gets between the steps and the knee walls and freezes thus blowing out the brick. It actually needs to be dismantled and carefully re-laid, mind that you use a top-notch sealant between the steps and knee wall to keep the water out.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

eclecticcottage

that might be a possibility, however the po's took out a huge overgrown evergreen shrub that was right against it (I found an old photo).

so softer lime. Check.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The late 1920s was a transitional era. Modern Portland cement based mortar and hard brick were available, but many people were still using lime. You could send a sample out for analysis, but to be safe I'd use lime mortar.

Also, as Casey said, the pushed out bricks indicate a problem with water getting in between the steps and the wall. That needs to be addressed, or you'll likely need to repoint again in a few years, plus possibly address more loose brick.

eclecticcottage

I'm going to ask a silly question that I can answer for myself later, but I'm all about trying to plan so...

Is the softer lime mortar available at places like home depot or lowes or am I going to need to search?

I will have to look at the steps.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Most masonry suppliers will have it. HD and Lowes, probably not.

Where are you located?

eclecticcottage

Western New York (Buffalo/Rochester side of the state). I should be able to dig someone up, I think there's a "building supply" place not terribly far that has a lot of stone, etc. they might have it.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

You could ask for bags of type O or type K mortar, but the other issue is matching the color, and to a lesser degree, texture.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil