air bleeding steam radiators

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
springmoon33
Knows the area

air bleeding steam radiators

Post by springmoon33 »

Finally have heat right on time for the cold temps. I have been playing around with some of the radiators that are either not getting hot at all or simply not heating trying to get air out. I changed a few air vents. I keep researching about ways to bleed them but my radiators do not seem to have a bleeding valve just the air valves. I have looked at all of them and they are all the same, I have resorted to carefully pulling air vents off early in the cycle of boiler but not sure this is correct way of bleeding them. Is there a secret spot where this bleeding valves could be? I want to bleed them safely.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Re: air bleeding steam radiators

Post by KenN »

My understanding is the steam systems do not have an air bleed valve that you open, only hot water systems have a valve that you use to bleed air.

In a steam system the vent valve is open when the system is cold. As the steam comes up the vent valve lets cold air out so it can be replaced with hot steam. When the vent valve gets hot enough it closes to keep the steam in. If a steam radiator is not getting hot then the vent valve is not letting the cold air out when the steam comes up.

In a hot water system everything should be full of water all the time. You only use the bleed valve to let out air that shouldn't be there.

springmoon33
Knows the area

Post by springmoon33 »

KenN wrote:My understanding is the steam systems do not have an air bleed valve that you open, only hot water systems have a valve that you use to bleed air.

In a steam system the vent valve is open when the system is cold. As the steam comes up the vent valve lets cold air out so it can be replaced with hot steam. When the vent valve gets hot enough it closes to keep the steam in. If a steam radiator is not getting hot then the vent valve is not letting the cold air out when the steam comes up.

In a hot water system everything should be full of water all the time. You only use the bleed valve to let out air that shouldn't be there.

That explains a lot, but the ones not heating up I change the vent valves and still not getting completely hot. Then there was one in the kitchen that was getting real hot and now nothing...I am learning as I never dealt with steam. Been playing around with the radiators. Maybe I need to tilt them towards pipe?

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

I've never dealt with steam systems(my expertise is in HW) but a lot of people speak very highly of this book https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09743 ... MCGXS8J2GT

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Try heatinghelp.com

Although Dan Holohan is the authority on this type of stuff, there are plenty of knowledgable people there to help. Try the Wall, as well: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/categories/the-main-wall