handbag fabric

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

handbag fabric

Post by Lily left the valley »

My favorite second hand shop in town has a fabric stand that I've been eyeing. Some vinyl, some possible leather, some possible cloth. I had thought one still wrapped roll was muslin from a tiny tear I peeked through, but when I asked about it, that's when I learned that all the fabric was obtained from a handbag shop that had closed. When we ripped the paper back, we decided it was actually a liner material, and definitely not muslin.

Some of the fabrics are quite sturdy, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if what was intended for handbags might actually be used for upholstery?

Your :twocents-twocents: requested.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Re: handbag fabric

Post by Old house lady »

Really, almost any material can be used for upholstery. Many fabrics designed for handbag lining are beautiful and stronger than they appear to be. For any which are too fine-handed, you can often fuse an interfacing to the back for stability and extra strength. Of course, you'd have to experiment, but you may just find just the right combination.

Lily left the valley

Most of my upholstering experience was with theatre prop work for a very long time, so we just used whatever worked for the desired look since it didn't have to last long.

It does many sense that it should be ok because handbags can get a lot of abuse too, but I was still hesitant.

Time to brave up and be glad I can buy small quantities to try. Thankies, lady.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

If you are doing things traditionally, with some combination of springs, horse hair, etc.... typically you have a muslin type fabric over the horse hair that is meant to contain things so this would provide a good amount of stabilization and strength, and allow you to use a variety of fabrics for the designer/fashion fabric that would be placed over the muslin and be seen on the outside.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a thin quilting cotton or things like that for a seat. It will get worn through pretty easily. But things like fine silk have been used extensively throughout history...

This book is packed with good information on the subject of traditional upholstery and can be bought for next to nothing, if you're looking to learn more. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Upholst ... upholstery

Lily left the valley

Corsetière, thank you for the book link. I try to buy local, and we have a small book shop in town I know gets some things from there as well as other local sources that I bet will be happy to get it for me. (So far I've just bought from his current stock, this'd be my first "can you find for me".) I'll make a note to give him.

I was actually hoping that one fabric was muslin for exactly that reason because the one chair on my projects gallery is spring & horsehair. We haven't had time to look for another fabric shop nearby. I'm sure there's one in the twin cities nearby, just need to find it. I just got another chair yesterday that I'm fairly positive is also spring & hair, but it's only got one teensy tear, so I'm not worried about that one yet.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Good luck! And be sure to share your results! :)

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I have upholstered many second hand pieces and would recommend going for a tight weave and durability (number of rubs). Fabric.com is a good source for new fabric. The problem with old fabric is that it may be starting to rot and will rip easily. Test it first. I also recommend "Spruce"- fun upholstery book, not your stodgy upholstery. :D https://www.amazon.com/Spruce-Step-Step-Upholstery-Design-ebook/dp/B00DPLKD7G/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

Lily left the valley

Thanks for the tips Diane. I will add that to my library list.

Lily left the valley

So I made the mistake in between some phone calls to try to look up where I might get replacement horsehair if I need it.

I quickly realized that's a rabbit hole I do not have time for just yet. :lol:

So much to learn. :techie-studyinggray:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

good thing they still make horses ;) the stuff Ive seen is curly and coarse. I dont' know much about horses, did they use hair from only certain parts for this? or certain kinds of horses? I have a nice victorian chair to do and I have a neighbor who upholsters furniture. I just want ot fix the broken bits then let him do it , I'd mess it up. I'm really not sure where to get the fabric and hate to do it with most of the moderns stuff I come across.. It's in wait too... good thing antiques are so patient. luckily it came with a bag of hair from when it was taken apart so I should be ok re-using it I assume..