Little metal door in bottom of the fireplace

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Little metal door in bottom of the fireplace

Post by Lily left the valley »

I wanted to take a picture of it, but the camera batteries died. When I looked at the Pleasant fireplace, there was a metal door you could flip up that I thought maybe was for sweeping ash down? I'm not sure why else there would be a door like that in the base of the fireplace.

I went back down in the basement to try to figure where it would go, and I did see a sweep out door you could open on the side, but there was a panel of something or other right above near where the boiler/base of the chimney were located. So I'm not sure if that little door lets it down to that clean out, or further in. Maybe hatch is a better word...not sure.

Anyone know?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Little metal door in bottom of the fireplace

Post by GibsonGM »

Yup, it's a cleanout. Generally, there is a door at the bottom to clean the ashes out when cool...every couple years, what have you. That was probably what you saw :)

Some WERE built with no basement cleanout, tho...often, people cut in and make one.

Lily left the valley

Super. Thank you, GibsonGM.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

You're certainly welcome. Pics are always nice to see, esp. if you can't figure out the basement part!

Lily left the valley

We have ten days to get our inspection done and I'll be on site for that. I'll make sure I have plenty of batteries. :lol: I'm waiting for call backs from the ones I left voicemails for yesterday.

There's a second chimney on the far side, where I suspect was the kitchen used to be. Didn't see a fireplace or stove when we viewed--closet there now (so prolly more likely to be removed stove). I'm going to see if I can feel a cold spot since I know that chimney isn't capped. In fact the top bricks are crumbling and a few had fallen and were stacked up on the now kitchen entrance porch.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Ah, so some repointing is sure to be in your future! Mine too, ha ha...had a bit of water come in the other day, 35mph wind / driven rain. It happens.

There will be other things to fix, too! That is part of living in an old home - as long as we are aware of what the jobs are, how much they cost, when to do them - things usually work out :)