Fencing options

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Fencing options

Post by SarahFair »

Living in this historic district the historic committee wants a say in any outwardly changes to homes, that includes fencing.

The only time I was told someone was turned down was for chain link fence.
They don't like it.

We planned on doing privacy all the way around, but once we found the actual property lines our yard shrunk, by a lot.

I think it's going to feel very enclosed and imo look on the tacky side with 6' privacy fence engulfing such a small yard.

We plan on doing a privacy lattice top 30' off each side of the house, regular dog eared fence 40' down each side, then we wanted black chain link on the 100' rear to give a more open feel with it looking back into the 50 acres of woods..

In case they turn down the chain link I'd like some back up options that would look good in a historic neighborhood (even though you wouldn't be able to see it).

The aluminum fencing is way out of our price range.

Any ideas?

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Fencing options

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Just an idea, but did you consider planting shrubbery along the perimeter of your property? This likely won't require approval and will give you the yard privacy you're looking for after a couple of years' growth. Architectural review boards can be picky about what they will and won't approve. Many of them won't approve most of the ready-made fencing materials sold today. If you have to have a fence, a wooden fence may be your only option if you don't want to go the iron route.

My neighborhood won't approve any fences. As a result, many have gone the shrub route.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

We have 2 gsd so we have to have a fence

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

We have a stone wall on one side and the back of our property. A while back we put up a wooden fence along the other side to address neighborhood aesthetics (if you know what I mean...;-). The fence is perhaps 4 feet high with a lattice along the top of part of it. Like yours, the historic preservation commission must approve in our neighborhood as well. Hence the short height and the fact that it stops well short of the front of our house.

We have an "invisible fence" that keeps the dog in across the front of the yard...

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

We have a 3' cedar picket fence - now almost 20 years since I installed it - around our lot (50' wide and about 110' long). In the back yard, above the cedar fence, I stretched bird netting, giving a total height of about 10 - 12'. That's enough to keep the deer out, and is invisible from the house. You didn't mention the reason for the fence. Unsightly neighbors? Keeping deer out? Keeping a dog in?

My folks have a lot more land, and did the invisible fence to keep the dogs in. That works great, and the cost per foot is comparatively cheap. But obviously if you goal is privacy, that won't help much. They don't have any close neighbors, and their deer population is better controlled, so, for them, those other considerations are not an issue.

Chris

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I see a lot of newer houses where they pour a concrete slab, cover that with laminated lookalike stone and put an aluminum railing on top. Please don't' do that ! Pyramid cedars aren't authentic in my opinion , they came later from Europe. Boxwood, or a stone wall , brick wall, a picket fence, if you want it to grow fast maybe a laurel hedge?
If you start googling for old fence patterns there are many.

I have the common cedar panel fences. I don't' like them but have a neighbor that wanted to put up a 6' grey hardiboard fence. they didn't consult me and I hate the color. I told her to put it on her own land I don't' want to see it their big grey wall and left my cedar fence which blocks out most of that ugliness.

I managed to get a whole bunch of iron bars about 5/16 x 2" x 35" or so and I have been thinking maybe I could incorporate the bars into a wood fence with some character.

a lot of old houses around me have chosen various old styles of fencing , different kinds of pickets etc. I love the variety so I'd like to do something a bit different. It's sad when they all look too much alike. Ive seen some nice ones that are just made of 2x4's that incorporate designs that have been used through the ages. If your home is craftsman that might incorporate the proportions you see around your house such as doors with high panels and tapered columns or if it's Victorian it may be more flowery and ornate. it's nice when the fence fits with the style of the home it surrounds. you could also look at aztec patterns which are much older than any of our houses.

whatever you choose, I'd run it by the neighbor. it makes for better relations and the final decision is yours if it's on your land.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

phil wrote: If your home is craftsman that might incorporate the proportions you see around your house such as doors with high panels and tapered columbs or if it's victorian it may be more flowery and ornate. it's nice when the fence fits with the style of the home it surrounds.

^this.

Consider a home made picket that fits your style, maybe some plantings on your side for privacy? I was thinking of pointed or gothic picket to go across the front of mine.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

phil

Post by phil »

maybe have a look at some of the more simple designs in these two searches to see if it might spark some ideas that you would like to incorporate? there is one very simple pattern that I don't' see here which is basically not much more than a square pattern. I see it used again and again but when I go to draw it my mind goes blank. I even drew it out at home on some scrap last time I saw it used as I was going to post and ask if it was from a certain era or style.. I notice it in the background in various TV shows. It will come to me eventually.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=classic+ ... g+patterns

https://www.google.ca/search?q=classic+ ... e+patterns

phil

Post by phil »

the closest I could find is this , very simple . It's not exactly what I was imagining but my point is it can be very simple and yet still reflect certain styles.
I found that searching for "fretwork"

https://therarebelle.files.wordpress.co ... ewood2.jpg

because I collect old radios I often see different patterns in the fretwork they used to cover speakers. they were often quite creative and simple. Often you will notice they have a religious element in that if you count the panels they add up to 13 representing the last supper. You;ll see that same number often represented in various stained glass window patterns. You may be able to find patterns you like and then use materials that you like after you get inspired by various patterns that fit with your likes. If you count the panels in the above you'll notice that this is the case in this one but you will see it often if you look for it.

Phil