Porch Swing Hardware

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Sara
Been here a while

Porch Swing Hardware

Post by Sara »

I'm going to be moving the porch swing from the north side to the south side. I've been using some old swing hooks that were already there but need to purchase and install new ones on the south side of the porch. I know that others must have experience with this type of hardware and was looking to see what you used?

I need it to be able to support three adults if necessary - so do I get the ones that support 325 lbs each?
My old ones have a plastic bushing inside the eye for the s hook. I assume so the swing doesn't squeek.
I see that they have some with springs now - anyone have any experience with that? Is it nice? Worth it?

And input/recommendations?

Gothichome

Re: Porch Swing Hardware

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, two of those hooks will hold 650lbs. That'll be three 200lbs people. Unless your swing is really long I drought you'll get thee on the swing at that weight. They should be fine. Just make sure you're getting full contact on the length of the tread, a beam or some thing. I would not count on a bead board in the prorch roof alone.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Seriously, and I am being serious here. I seem to remember reading somewhere OSHA usually recommend a doubling rule for load bearing, i.e. if you think it needs to hold up to 600 pounds you should build it to hold 1200. Maybe thats a bit excessive but I might try to go a bit higher than 3x200 pound people (minus the bench weight)
Mick...

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

I ended up ordering this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Kingdom-Sta ... B006ZAA1FS

Reviews seem good. It had the plastic bushings that minimize squeeking. I hope they'll work. But honestly, the ones that I'm using now have to be at least 20 years old. There's at least 2 paint colors on them. These will probably way exceed my expectations.

Will report back!

Thanks for your help!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

looks like you found something that might work.If you can mount them appropriately , will they take the weight ?

If you don't like those you could have a look through this Spaeneur catalog. they have a lot of unusual hardware. Its more geared to mechanical projects but there is just lots of stuff, like all sorts of latches and you might look at using a suitable sized eye bolt maybe in combination with a shackle.. Hang your chains from the shackles.

anyway It is a great resource and they are great to mail order from. I often buy things like knobs or hinges that I can't find anywhere else from here. They have a lot of fasteners for the automotive industry. If you make an order request the catalogue, it is a big one with lots of goodies.

http://www.spaenaur.com/catalog/#E81

here is what I meant by an eye bolt. ( the round eye) I would put a couple of these up through the ceiling in through something structural , then hang from them , maybe using a couple of shackles so you can unscrew the pin in the shackle and leave the eye bolts there if you want to remove the swing.

http://www.spaenaur.com/catalog/#B327
Last edited by phil on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Thanks Phil. I'll keep that in mind!

Fair warning, when Mick sees your post he'll probably tell you we could use links over in the Commercial Shout-outs section. :shh:

phil

Post by phil »

good idea I posted a link in there for Spaenaur

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I have these for my daughters swing. They are very strong

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/s ... FormRowId=

phil

Post by phil »

Sorry!
The page you are looking for can not be found. It may have moved or no longer exists.
(broken link)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

that is our broken link bug... which I believe is now fixed, unfortuantely fixing the bug will not undo the broken link :oops:
Mick...