Entryway Opinions, please

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Entryway Opinions, please

Post by SarahFair »

Entryways

My entryway used to run the length of the house but was cut short to add a bathroom.
Its about 12.2' long and 7.5' wide with 12 ft ceilings.
It has baseboards, chair railing, picture railing, and crown molding.

She painted most of the house in yellow hues. The dining room being sunshine YELLOW.
Im more of a green and gray person.

For the entryway Id like a dramatic gray. The SO wants a light gray but that's boring, imo, plus I was going to do a semi lighter gray for the dining room.
I am a little worried picking a gray too dark will "shrink" the room, but with the taller ceilings and a crystal chandelier I think it could be pulled off.

The decor Ill have in there is the buffet in the picture then a huge etching from the 1850s above it.
I plan on adding a taller palm and framing my antique horse bit collection, so it won't be gloomy dark.. (trying to convince myself ;))

Then there's always using a white or cream below the chair railing or above the picture railing to help break it up.

Excuse the mess and wonky pictures, the dogs were trying their luck at the front door.
The first picture is the listing photo, the second was an attempt to get my buffet, and the fourth picture is the etching I'll be hanging above the buffet with a similar wall color close to what I want, but the SO says that's too dark

I'm looking for inspiration through yalls pictures or opinions on what what think would be good colors.
Attachments
20160803_122834.jpg
20160803_122834.jpg (945.18 KiB) Viewed 435 times
20161018_070447.jpg
20161018_070447.jpg (544.54 KiB) Viewed 435 times
20161018_070431.jpg
20161018_070431.jpg (620.26 KiB) Viewed 435 times
unspecified-8.jpeg
unspecified-8.jpeg (424.21 KiB) Viewed 435 times

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Re: Entryway Opinions, please

Post by SarahFair »

Somehow it flipped a couple and reversed the order

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

With the white woodwork and the overhead light in there, you can get away with a darker gray, I think. There are a few paint companies that have features on their sites where you can upload an image of a room you want to paint, and then it will auto fill areas for you to test out different options.

Here's the first two that came up from a quick search:
Sherman Williams
Valspar

Something else to consider is painting the back wall darker as an accent wall, flanking with a lighter shade on the sides. You can then tie in the two colors (or 3 if you count the white, depending on how complex you want) with a stencil between the picture rail and ceiling, or just above the chair rail.

If you go the stencil route, or even pursue a paper border, that can help pull in a bit of color as well if you're worried the overall look will be too monochrome. I'm not sure if you'd want to tie in the warmth of the floor and buffet wood and/or the additional colors of the plant as well.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I think the room is too vertical for your plan. Is the only window in the front door? You could do the dark gray below the chair rail and the light gray, including the ceiling, in the lighter version. But all dark gray would really bother me.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, here' s the answer to you hallway issue.
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG (98.99 KiB) Viewed 414 times

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

Thanks for the replies.
I think we are going to hire a professional to come and look. Because there are so many rooms that open into each other, yet each have their own purpose I feel a little out of my element when choosing color pallets.

I'm better with coating furniture and decor :)