Mysterious Hole/Hook in Fireplace

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Mysterious Hole/Hook in Fireplace

Post by SouthernLady »

Hurricane Matthew has been invading my area since late last night, and I now have a lovely fountain in my fireplace as water is running down the chimney. The wind's been strong enough to blow it in through the chimney cap. This doesn't happen too often, thankfully.

When I got my flashlight to check out how bad it was coming in, I noticed a cast iron hook in the right lower bottom of the wall.

Curious if this may have held some sort of frame for a pot, I looked directly above it and found another little cast iron thing.

Hmm... Could this indeed be where a swinging arm may have been in the fireplace to support a kettle/pot?

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before. This is my kitchen fireplace. The one in the parlor doesn't have this. If it did indeed support a swinging arm, is it still possible to find one and install it?

SkipW

Re: Mysterious Hole/Hook in Fireplace

Post by SkipW »

I think you are correct. I have a neighbor who has a pot hook in their fireplace and it has fittings very similar to that. Can't tell from the photo....does the top one have enough space above to allow the top pin to travel up enough for a lower pin to drop into the lower bracket?

If you can't find one for your setup (would have to be right size or adjustable) I'm sure a local smitthy could whip one up for you and you'll have soup on this winter ;-)
Etta says "WOOF"

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

As a former mason, I've installed those....they're known as a fireplace crane up here (New England). They can be had at most masonry supply places, they are pretty common.

I bet that fireplace would look very sharp with one re-installed! It is not hard to re-mount the ears if they are not spaced properly for one you find. Or, as Skip said, a custom-made one might be the way to go....won't cost much, and you will have a one of a kind :)

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

The lugs for a crane, exactly.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Looks like Mathew did you a favor of sorts, Southern lady! Glad you got through the storm.
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

How cool is that???