will metal paint stick to wood?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: will metal paint stick to wood?

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

I used Ben Moore Moorewhite oil primer on my first house (scraped clapboards) It was super thick and sticky, and annoying to use and took really long to dry. BUT--it was really good for old weathered wood. It held tenaciously, and it was coated with Ben Moore Acrylic exterior paint. No problems for many years. That primer has been re-named as far as I know. I'd use it again on a house. But a raw wood fence---I'd still go with acrylic solid stain.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

still a fan of oil finish even though it ain't what it used to be...

my preference would be:
sand with 100 grit
apply one or two coats of BM oil primer (not fast dry that that product has its place)
apply two coats of oil finish

or
sand and apply two or three coats of oil stain...

DTM used to be called 'metal and wood' paint...for legal reasons, the instructions will say 'for metal only' cause you can't use latex paints on metal without having rust issues...

...jade

Furniture Doctor
Just Arrived

Post by Furniture Doctor »

It will stick fine, but I think that the pressure washer might not be a real good idea, as any remaining moisture will cause the paint to fail too soon and peal off. With out a moisture meter you may need to use full sun for a day or two to be certain it's really dried out. Sanding is best, what ever old paint sticks after that is not a problem. I have used boiled linseed oil thinned with 25% turpentine for this sort of project and it is an amazing primer as it really soaks in. I like the roller for speed but I also like to brush out the face just to get the brush lines and make sure it is pushed into the grain well. ..test everything first.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have never pressure washed fresh lumber and it normally kind of scares me ( beacause of warpage) but since it is a summer place and I can only get there if I make a weekend trip of it It might actually make sense for this. It will go faster , since it is 120 sq ft that's a lot of sanding and I might be able to just pressure wash , sticker and stack it and then on my return that will be another weekend and I could use linseed oil or oil based primer then paint it after.
if the wood warps a little it's ok its just a fence. The wood will go where it wants to after it is in it's natural environment anyway.