Sarco alternatives

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Greenwood
Knows the area

Re: Sarco alternatives

Post by Greenwood »

20 plus years of experience in a few paragraphs! I'll bookmark this post for next time!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I hope know one will think less of me but I use DAP as well as those cheater points. Availability is no issue and it doesn’t hold up production if I run out.
The Dap is a bit hard to work with but I find if I knead it for a minute or so it’ll soften up so I can lay a descent bead, and strong wrists and a stiff scraper (I use a simple stiff hardware scraper, nothing fancy) is a must to work an acceptable bevel.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I will assume that the majority of folks on this forum use or have used DAP....it's the most conveniently available product...I still think you are extra terrific gothic!!

y'all might be interested in this glazing putty info:
http://saveamericaswindows.com/forum/vi ... f=7&t=5224

...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oh gosh, :icon-redface:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Oh gosh, :icon-redface:

It's not like we have other glazing putty options in Canada ?

HistoricDesign
Just Arrived

Post by HistoricDesign »

Although also not easy to find, Nu-Puttie is a good alternative to DAP. DAP is a miserable experience to use.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Historicdesign, if I did use the good stuff I’d get spoiled. What I don’t know is some times the best.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

Has anyone here used glaze ease? Also you can order Sarco M through Amazon.com. I am wondering if you can only do one or two windows at a time is it better to order 1 gal. containers or quarts?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I have not used 'glaze ease' by choice...in my opinion, I find that any product that is 'fast dry' is also lacking in quality...it contains a high dose of solvents to make it dry quickly...
sarco type m applied in a warm dry shop with air circulation (fans) can set up for painting in as little as 2 days depending on the volume of putty used...I typically allow 5 days or more before painting...the manufacturer suggests 2 weeks but all restorers I know allow 2-7 days....remember, it's best to prime the sash prior to glazing...apply finish paint directly over the skinned over putty...

after I apply putty and allow sufficient time for the putty to set up, I gently scrape the glazing bars and the perimeter of the sash to get rid of the putty 'boogers' and then lightly sand the wood before painting...

it's more cost effective to purchase larger containers of sarco...sure, it's best to use the freshest stuff available (just like paint) but it is useable up to two years...it can even be frozen so no worries in storing it in an unheated garage...after use, I pat the putty in the container down flat and add a layer of water just enough to cover the surface of the putty...when you're ready to use it again, pour off the water and pat the putty dry...

....jade

Reg at Hoffmeyer's
Just Arrived

Post by Reg at Hoffmeyer's »

Hello Forum! We at Hoffmeyer's Mill in Ontario stock Sarco so please look us up and we will ship a quart or gallon of either Multiglaze or Dual Glaze most anywhere in Canada!