Original Tub with Rust?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
lionel762
Settling in

Original Tub with Rust?

Post by lionel762 »

I finally cleaned the basement claw foot tub today. I believe it is original from the early 1910s. The majority of the inside looks fantastic.However, there are places where I could use all of your expert advice.

There is one spot where it looks like a small can was set in the tub and left a rust circle. Can this be scrubbed clean or does the rust mean the porcelain is gone?

There is also what looks like rust near the drain. What could I do about that?

Final question, the outside is very rusty. I figured it would need sanding and painting. My husband thought spray paint. What do you all recommend? Also, does a certain color look better. I was worried the rust would show up again if I went with white.

Thanks for your advice!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1129 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1129 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1129 times

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Re: Original Tub with Rust?

Post by SarahFair »

Ive never tried on porcelain but have you considered CLR on the inside of the tub?

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Barkeeper's Friend cleaner might get rid of that rust ring. It's pretty mild too.

Yes, beside to sand it - even better if you can use an abrasive blaster. Ask at your paint store for the correct primer for cast iron. The wrong kind will let rust spots through. But once you put that down, you can paint it whatever color you wish without worry!

I ended up airbrushing mine, so yeah I think spray paint would be a good choice for a smooth finish.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I have used CLR on a cast iron enamelled bathtub with no ill effects
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Do NOT use CLR on a vintage enameled cast iron tub! Not all enameling was created equal in this era and CLR has been known to etch some types of enamel.

For the rust on the enamel, use Bar Keepers Friend powder and the blue (not green) Scotch Brite pads made for non-stick cookware. You'll need to use a lot of elbow grease. For the rust near the drain, if it has pitted, you can use a porcelain chip fix kit and feather in the repair.

The exterior can be sanded and painted with spray paint. However, once you get the surface prepared, I would recommend a good oil-based filler primer before painting. Optional, but I sprayed an automotive clear coat over the exterior of one of mine to give it extra protection. Once dry, I sanded it with 400 then 600 grit to keep it from looking too "new".

Some tubs have the casting date on the bottom of them.

lionel762
Settling in

Post by lionel762 »

A small update: The powder version of Barkeepers Friend and blue scotch brite worked wonders! The circle rust ring is completely gone with just a little elbow grease. The drain has cleared up well also. There is a little pitting that will need the porcelain chip kit. It is purchased, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

Thank you also for the detailed advice on the outside of the tub. My husband has automotive experience and understood everything that you were mentioning.

This is such a great community! Thank you for offering great advice and support. I thought I would have to live with the rust ring and now it is gone. It has totally made my day and I can't wait to find some free time to tackle the rest of the tub!

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Ive had good luck with the rustoleum products incl "rust reformer" (using that stuff you would wire brush off the loose scales but dont have to go down to bare metal).

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

I wonder if "Ospho" would be nice on the outside of a tub like this? Then oil prime (I've had good luck with X-O Rust and Rustoleum red metal primers), top coat...

After wire brushing most any fairly rusty surface, the above primers have been very good at blocking bleed-thru, in the places I've used them (old tin ceilings and the like, prior to top coating).