What type of house and front porch

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

What type of house and front porch

Post by SarahFair »

The buyers backed out of the contract on our home giving us more time to look :thumbup:

A cute 1381sqft home came on the market yesterday.
Its in a historic district so any exterior work has to be approved.
And they are picky!
They told one dilapidated house being saved a few doors down they couldn't put French doors on the front because that would not be correct to the type of house..

Anyways, I'm not the biggest fan of the 1960s metal grape vines..

What type of house would you call this and what would have been true to the front porch pillars?

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Re: What type of house and front porch

Post by SarahFair »

After doing some more googling and searching (Im supposed to be deep cleaning my house to get ready for round 2 of showings, but this is more entertaining :roll:) Im thinking it may be a Queen Ann Cottage??

Heres the listing with more images
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/239-B ... 5422_zpid/

It just doesnt seem right though.
Not as "dainty" as a Queen Ann.

Id also want to say Bungalow, but that definitely doesn't seem right either.
Im thinking someone did some modifications to the exterior and that is what is throwing me off..

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I don't think that porch roof is original. It's unlikely that the original builders would have built the roof to hang below the head of the doors and windows like that. Unfortunately, it's hard to say what would have been there, originally--if anything.

But then again, maybe it looked like this:
http://www.southernliving.com/home-gard ... tage-style

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

I agree. The angle of it just looks, weird.

Im also having a hard time figuring out the layout of the house.

Looking at the picture, if its two bedroom Im guessing youre going to have to walk through one bedroom to get to another bedroom. Thats not going to work..
My kids will be in the bed with us every night.

I drew up what I think might be the layout.
Its going to be tough getting out to go look at this house with our up and coming schedules

Would it be completely naughty to close off the door between bedroom one and bedroom 2 and move it into the dining room?
Tax website says the walls are drywall.
What kind of cost would that incur?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sarah, on first impression I would say it's a Victory house.they just fiddled with the porch roof.
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/vicham.jpg

JRC

Post by JRC »

Gothichome wrote:Sarah, on first impression I would say it's a Victory house.they just fiddled with the porch roof.
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/vicham.jpg

It does look similar, but the date on the listing is 1910, which makes it too old to be one of those.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

I talked to the historical district today to see what entails with living within it (Well need a privacy fence for the dogs and replacement of the front porch railings)

They sent me over to their website for the citys historic district and the closest I can match it up to in the their examples is a single story colonial revival, but they also quote that this era started in 1920?
Id like to get a little snazzier with the front porch than whats exampled... but its going to be what the husband the the bank account allows :mrgreen:

If youd like to take a look at what they have listed (all the pictures are from houses within the city) its on page 20

http://www.monroega.com/system/resource ... Primer.pdf

I could feel fancy with this kind of entrance :happy-smileyflower:

JRC

Post by JRC »

The house you're looking at really could have looked like the example of Colonial Revival on the city's website. I wouldn't worry too much about the dates; that's what the "ca." is for. Also, can you be sure the zillow listing's date is absolutely accurate?

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

It was tax maps giving the date.

Doesnt matter now..
We went and looked at the place.
Meh. The 1970s and 80s hit that place HARD.
The termite damage and wood rot was a little scary as well.

We were leaving the neighborhood feeling a little let down and happened to see a sign out in a front yard.
Googled and got nothing about being listed.
Called my agent (who was right behind us) to ask her about it.. She was already out in the yard talking to the owner :dance:
Turns out the listing agent JUST put the signs out and left to go put directional signs out and was going to list it in the morning.
They let us view the house...

Long story short, we put in a offer, they accepted and pending an inspection we might be the new owners of a 1900s (what I call) Folk Victorian in what looks to be amazing condition :D

JRC

Post by JRC »

Ha! Well, congratulations! I'm sure you know we're anxious to see photos! ;)