Wait time after blopping? And primer recommendations?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
leekoala
Settling in

Wait time after blopping? And primer recommendations?

Post by leekoala »

Hi all,

My apologies if this is a repeat. Even though I tried some searching on the site here, and then also google, I must not have done a good enough query. (And google's hits are mostly to wavyglass, which end up in "problem loading page". No cached versions, sigh. )

We've gotten an exterior windowsill down to bare wood and ready to blop, prime, and paint.
After blopping the old wood, how long best to wait before priming with the oil primer?

And any recommendations for the primer?
I'm partial to Ben-Moore products, as there's a store within walking distance and they are ever so nice to me when I go in with my random old-house paint questions. :-)

Google did find two nuggets:
- Houzz (Gardenweb) posting from Casey saying "As much linseed oil/turpentine mixture as the wood will take. Wait a week and repeat. "

- OldHouseWeb posting, who referenced Jade as saying:
blopentine--12-24 hours in warm dry environment...
penetrating primer--48 hours in warm dry environment...
either:
a. oil finish coat--24 hours in warm dry environment...
or
b. latex finish coat--typically 8 hours

Thanks!
Lee

(As much as the spam killed wavyglass, I did have a few gem topics bookmarked and could kick myself for not simply copying the advice into a text file to save for future reference.)

heartwood

Re: Wait time after blopping? And primer recommendations?

Post by heartwood »

hi lee....
for window sash, we apply a 'liberal' coat and wipe off any excess that does not quickly wick into the wood...the boiled linseed oil is what helps 'condition' the wood...the turps is the vehicle for penetration...turps also works as an insecticide....because you will have subsequent coats of other products, you want the blopentine to penetrate rather than build on the surface...apply one coat only letting the sash dry for 24 hours in a warm ventilated area before adding primer...at end grain, especially where the area will not be painted, allow the blop to drip on the surface til the wood has had its fill...you may need more than 24 hours if the wood is especially dry and drinks a lot of blop...we always have fans working in the shop for the best air circulation...

I use ben moore 024 oil primer (not fast dry and not penetrating)...allow at least 24 hours, but 48 is best to allow prior to applying paint...we use BM impervo oil for the interior and BM super spec oil for the exterior...you can use acrylic/latex....

hope that helps...
...jade

leekoala
Settling in

Post by leekoala »

Thanks Jade! Thank you very much for the details about the times and the ben moore oil primer. It helps so much to plan out my days, application/drying, especially when I have to work around my day job on the weekdays.

And thanks for adding the point about the wiping off the excess that does not quickly wick in. I overlooked that before when I blopped on the sash wood and ended up with a little mess to clean up. (Lesson learned for the next set of sashes. :-)

-- Lee

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you betcha!!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if BLO seeps in cracks it has a habit of weeping back out after initial wipe down but before it dries. so it's good to do your wipe off and return in an hour to do another wipe off if you see weeping. If it feels sticky use more turpentine and if stickiness is an issue you can go back over with a mixture that's richer in turps if you need to.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

An unusually late-in-the-day Thanksgiving celebration planned for today has allowed me some time to peruse the forum for some questions that have been haunting me. I was in Home Depot last night to pick up a wire brush and asked the paint department person on duty if they could match a color in oil. Short answer is no ("We got Rustoleum"), but I was astonished at the vast amount of misinformation that she was dispensing, with great confidence, from behind the counter at that store. (She uses wood putty for glazing windows.)

Thanks, Jade, for the Benjamin Moore oil-based paint recommendations. Worth repeating, I believe.

024 primer
impervo (interior)
super spec (exterior)

phil

Post by phil »

a good question when talking to reps who are spewing info like that is is "have you done this before". another good question is do you have a trades ticket? Most paint store reps are not qualified painters. most painters aren't even qualified painters but there are some that have completed their trades training and are qualified or who at least have some experience to pull from. Sometimes you are lucky and get an ex trades person who for whatever reason just needed a light job, the best are the older ones who are semi retired. Sometimes I'll ask do you have anyone on staff that is the real guru on this stuff? Often a little prompt like that and they will take you to someone else without it being insulting. No point insulting the 21 year old girl who just got her first job at home depot. That's just where she is in her career path.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:An unusually late-in-the-day Thanksgiving celebration planned for today has allowed me some time to peruse the forum for some questions that have been haunting me. I was in Home Depot last night to pick up a wire brush and asked the paint department person on duty if they could match a color in oil. Short answer is no ("We got Rustoleum"), but I was astonished at the vast amount of misinformation that she was dispensing, with great confidence, from behind the counter at that store. (She uses wood putty for glazing windows.)

Thanks, Jade, for the Benjamin Moore oil-based paint recommendations. Worth repeating, I believe.

024 primer
impervo (interior)
super spec (exterior)

I have witnessed the same several times, it wasn't just a lack of knowledge, but blatant untruths that were being shared. After overhearing one particularly egregious pile of umm, you know what, being told to a youngish couple about alkyd paints, color matching, and federal bans and such, I hunted them down an aisle or two later and told them to head to either Sherwin Williams (a block away) or the Ben Moore paint supply place just under half a mile down the road. The information thety had been dealt was not only completely wrong, but was misleading them into a much more expensive job than they had bargained for. I was luckily (for them) able to save them that expense
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:a good question when talking to reps who are spewing info like that is "have you done this before"...

This Type-A personality proudly volunteered that information without me having to ask. Apparently, she's part of a troupe associated with her church who fix up old houses. So she's spreading her poor practices around southern New England - and with her authoritative style, probably infecting others. I'd estimate her age at around 60, so she's probably had plenty of opportunity to do plenty of damage. (Well, at least this has the potential to be reversible, unlike replacement windows.) I tried to convey to her some of the points I learned here about the benefits of linseed-oil-based putty, but she was so dismissive, I quickly surrendered to pretending I was listening, as I backed away.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" she asked.

"No, that's enough" I replied.

mick_vt wrote:I have witnessed the same several times, it wasn't just a lack of knowledge, but blatant untruths that were being shared.

Only once did I say to a clerk at Home Depot, "Do you know this or are you telling me what you think I want to hear?" - but she was really asking for it.

phil

Post by phil »

People who have personalities like that often loose out on a lot of learning opportunities because they are so busy being self centered, they don't stop to hear other opinions.. I remember someone said - If your tongue is moving you ain't learnin' ;-)