Vanity Mirror Query

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Vanity Mirror Query

Post by Lily left the valley »

We bought a lovely vanity that is part of a set from a retiring co-worker of spouse who is moving out of the area. They bought a MCM home there, and are swapping over to that style of furniture. The pieces originally belonged to the co-worker's spouse's grandparents. (We even got to see a picture of her grandparents--I thought it was neat that she made a point to show us the photo.)

For the most part, the vanity is lovely. The issue is the mirror for the vanity. The original broke. He cut it down to the break and kept it as a just in case, and I gladly took that off his hands when he offered it. They had a new plain mirror cut to match the curving top and bottom edges, but then before the backing/mirror was installed to the vanity, their large puppy got excited and tried to play with his reflection, so the new one is broken as well.

I originally had thought to try to piece together the two on the backing, and to build a small wooden cubby row that could cover the distance between. It would kill the unbroken near full length of the mirror, but it was a way to retain the etched original and still use the remaining of the replacement.

Unfortunately, both broke in such a way that the two pieces we have are both "top" curves.

So now I'm not sure what to do, and am open to suggestions.

Here's some pics of the mirror laid across the top of the vanity, the second shows the old piece overlaid. (I need to figure out which box has the better camera in it. :oops: ):
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.