Etched Windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Azurelle
Just Arrived

Etched Windows

Post by Azurelle »

I have two large windows that appear to have a lace pattern etched into them along the top.
IMAG0197.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 729 times
IMAG0196.jpg
IMAG0196.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 729 times
The house was built in 1900. I'm trying to track down the family of the original owner to see if they have any pictures of the house they would share with me...but I'm thinking these aren't original to the house, but added later? But if they were, why only those two big windows and not all of the ones on the ground floor? Any thoughts??

Gothichome

Re: Etched Windows

Post by Gothichome »

Azurelle, they look like transoms. Just a little bit of splurging maybe. Nice lace pattern though.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

It is certainly of the period, perhaps they are all that remain of many more?
Mick...

Azurelle
Just Arrived

Post by Azurelle »

Mick_VT wrote:It is certainly of the period, perhaps they are all that remain of many more?

I don't know....the last owner did a lot of weird things to try and 'update' the house and sell it. His final act was to try and set it on fire for the insurance money! I'm pretty sure that all of the downstairs windows are original.
Before-Front1.jpg
Before-Front1.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 718 times
These two windows with the etching are the only ones that face the street on the first floor.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

from the photos, it almost appears that there is real lace between two panes of glass...so intricate that it must have been done by machine...often, the most appeal and expense was invested in the front façade of the house...

...jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

It looks so real!
The other thought is, there were decals and stuff like that for windows going back at least to the 1910 decade. Because not everybody could afford expensive stained or obscured glass. And you could add the decals to any existing window very easily, unlike adding different glass.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's a pretty piece of machine etching! my neighbour's house has one:

Front.jpg
Front.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 662 times

It's a nice piece of work, and they were not too expensive to put in when new. I would hang on to those for sure!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Machine etching you think Neighmond, I would more inclined to think maybe acid etched or blasted.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

These two windows with the etching are the only ones that face the street on the first floor.

Well, there you have it! The street front was considered the important side of the house and upstairs windows wouldn't show that clearly from the ground, so they chose fancy glass for the two most visible windows.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'd have to see it in person, but I'm inclined to agree with Casey. It may be an early applique that was done in the 1910-20 timeframe. I'd definitely keep it. It may not be from the original construction of the house, but it's early enough.