Limits to jacking a house?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Limits to jacking a house?

Post by phil »

if you want to load pics,

first save them to a place you know how to locate on your hard drive or phone - you might save them to a folder on the desktop for example.

when you start replying to a message, right below where you type there is a button labeled "full editor and preview" - click that button.

now you will be typing in a different text box but it will look similar, It has more icons above for added function but ignore that for now.

again scroll down below the text box where you type. You will see two tabs one is labeled "options", the other is labeled "attachments". click the one that says "attachments".

Next you will see a button that says "add files" click that.

It will open a window (not part of this software but a window on your computer) this will allow you to steer ( or browse) to the folder on your computer so for example click "desktop" and find the folder where you put the files you wanted to post.
once you see the picture you want to add just doubleclick it , give it a moment and you will see that it ads it to a list, if you click several pics it will add each one. there may be a set limit so don't add too many at once until you get the hang of it.

Next click "submit" just as you always do when posting. Your pics should appear in your new post along with anything you typed.

If that doesn't make sense or if you are needing to do this from your phone of from a mac computer it might differ slightly. Just try and if it still isn't making sense just post and ask. let us know what type of gadget you are using to post. My explanation above should work if you are on a windows computer and it will be similar on other platforms.

there may be other ways to do it, some mentioned using the "gallery" for example, or you can probably drag and drop image files to the text editor window. If you try and fail it isn't going to hurt anything. There could be a limit on the size of the file. If you do anything wrong you will probably get an error message. If the file is too large we might need to help you reduce the file size. I sometimes save my pics and open them in "paint" (the windows picture editor) and then reduce the size so they load quickly and don't cause "file too large" errors. If you use a mac computer or a phone it won't have "paint" and instead it will have some other brand of picture editing software.
sometimes phones and cameras make funny file names like P0000021 and it can sometimes be helpful to rename them so that when you browse to locate them they are easier to find.

It was really interesting to read about your project. It sounds like you are making some huge improvements to the structure and winning at that so it is encouraging for all. Thanks for sharing your notes on the progress.

Phil

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

The structural portion is complete. now for the functional. then the aesthetic.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Great to hear. The building will stand solid for another hundred years. Look forward to the pics.

phil

Post by phil »

cgutha wrote:The structural portion is complete. now for the functional. then the aesthetic.

100 large sheets of 5/8 drywall is a lot of aesthetics, now the fun begins ! wow what a project you have going there.

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

I have finally uploaded three posts to my website: www.beyondrecoverycenter.com
this records three major projects.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ceg, thanks for the update I really was intrigued by your efforts at getting to old girl structurally sound. I had never heard of a keystone repair for joists but looking at it it makes a great repair from both an engineering principal and a carpentry solution.
You asked if any one knows a source of tin ceiling panels we have this ink in the reference section of the District
https://wfnorman.com/
Not sure if will be of help or not.

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

We used a wonderbar to force the keystone wedge up to preload the compression strength of the joist. Then glued and screwed a sister along side and let it dry overnight before releasing the cables. Finally, we planed the joists to level the top edge before laying down the subfloor.

Thanks for the WFNorman link. I sent them a picture, some panels look similar.
ceg

phil

Post by phil »

I get unable to connect at that link
http://www.beyondrecoverycenter.com/
maybe it's temporary.