Adapting old sconces to modern wiring boxes

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Adapting old sconces to modern wiring boxes

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey all, I just snagged a turn of the century sconce on ebay, but the escutcheon that it uses to mount on the wall is barely 2 1/2" across. I want to use it to replace an existing sconce which is mounted to a typical modern 4" plaster depth box. I'm not ready to redecorate the entire room yet, or I would eliminate the box and just mount the lamp on the wall just like they used to(I know, I know, codes and all that). So what is your preferred method of making this work without eliminating the 4" box? I had thought about the idea of a wooden base. Mount the lamp to the wood and then attach the wood to the box as usual, but I can't seem to find anything appropriate and pre-made. a nice turned 4" circular piece of wood, no more than 3/4" thick would do the job but I am darned if I can find one.
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Adapting old sconces to modern wiring boxes

Post by Casey »

They make a solid brass blank cover plate for this situation. found this, not brass, but the idea is the same http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/4-round ... ch-plates/

Something like this would work if the nipple/hickey was long enough: http://www.satco.com/90-048.html
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

TheFixer
Just Arrived

Post by TheFixer »

Look for hand rail rosettes. They should be at most big box stores. They come in round and oval. Usually oak.

I don't think code allows you to use wood as a cover, needs to be non flammable if I recall. I would put the steel cover on with a small hole for the wires.

Oval Example.
•4 in. x 5-1/2 in. x 3/4 in. Dimensions

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stair-Parts- ... /202088540

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

TheFixer wrote:Look for hand rail rosettes. They should be at most big box stores. They come in round and oval. Usually oak.

I don't think code allows you to use wood as a cover, needs to be non flammable if I recall. I would put the steel cover on with a small hole for the wires.

Oval Example.
•4 in. x 5-1/2 in. x 3/4 in. Dimensions

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stair-Parts- ... /202088540

Ahhh that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. Yes, using a steel cover under it would be prudent
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

not sure if it's practical for your appication but you could possibly put a receptacle with two outlets if it is a typical round light pot. you can get the round covers for that. The parts fit even though it is kind of unusual to see outlets in a round box, it meets code.

You can then plug in anything you want. or you could look into using a clock plug which has a recessed outlet. and is designed to hang a clock in front of it. I had one in my kitchen and kept it , it is a bakelite thing. I dont' doubt you can still get them though?
I like to hang my flourescents and just put a plug on them so if they act up they are easier to work on. also provides a handy outlet on the ceiling sometimes. I then have the option of removing the outlet and mounting a "regular" light in it's place if my needs change later down the road. I have 4 flourescents over my workbench, but one day I might make that a bedroom, and it will have two ceiling mount light fixtures. the electrical inspector won't really care about what you have plugged in, that's temporary, not house wiring so it separates the device from the house wiring.

by "clock plug" I meant this, these days they are for flush mount TV's ;-)
http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/black-c ... panel-tvs/

maybe if you want a wood cover it could hide this , and be up to code still?

or this ?
http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/round-d ... ch-plates/

Phil

TheFixer
Just Arrived

Post by TheFixer »

Any pictures yet?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

TheFixer wrote:Any pictures yet?

No, I side-stepped the issue in the end, used a scoce that was a little larger and saved the one I had for another project :roll:
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Mick_VT wrote:
No, I side-stepped the issue in the end, used a scoce that was a little larger and saved the one I had for another project :roll:

You could try using a flat metal plate to cover the box, drill a hole for the wires to come through, and paint it the same color as the wall (even better if it's going to be wallpapered). Just make sure the screws to hold the plate on are behind the fixture. This will take some modification, but done right, you won't be able to see it easily unless you're right on top of it. Fill any gaps between the plate and the wall with patching plaster.

I had some success with this in a co-worker's house.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

instead of round how about a hex shaped plate? you can cut that on the tablesaw and run a router around to give it a profile. or if you want you can cut round stuff on the tablesaw if you make a center hole and affix a pivot. rough it out to within an 1/8th or so so the blade can't get trapped. then you can turn the wood on the pin and cut a circle. or you can cut a circle with a router. either with a jig ( piece of plywood with a hole to follow.) I made up some attachments for routers with two bars, a center pin and a micro adjustment. for the distance away of the pivot pin. it basically like a compass to draw circles. This allows the router to cut a radius with some precision.