What is Best to Use on Antique Furniture?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

What is Best to Use on Antique Furniture?

Post by SouthernLady »

All of my furniture is antique, predominately 1870s oak. Over the past year, I have noticed the wood seems to be drying out a bit. The antique dealer whom I bought my first pieces from told me to use orange oil to moisturize the wood. I have been doing so, but I could almost swear it is causing the wood to dry out faster. :shock:

I know some of you on here are absolute pros at caring for antique furniture. What should I be cleaning and moisturizing it with?

For example, my 1870s cheval dresser (and prissy pup):

Neighmond

Re: What is Best to Use on Antique Furniture?

Post by Neighmond »

What sort of finish is on it now?

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

It doesn't appear to have any finish on it whatsoever. None of the furniture does. No wax, nothing.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

you best ask Al, or Sooth, or one of the furniture mavens, but I would maybe think BLO or tongue oil. Is that a Papyon? (sp?)

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Paste wax. Such as Johnson's or Butchers, or the uber-expensive Renaissance Wax.
Clean the wood first to get rid of dust. Apply with a cotton cloth (balled up jersey material is great).
Make the first buffing pass with a piece of wool; I save old wool boot socks for this. The hair fibers of wool "cut" the wax and remove the excess; cotton just smears it. If you want a high gloss, buff with cotton and a bit of moisture. That is what they call a "spit polish". If you want less shine, just use a fine wool flannel.

Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, stay away from the voodoo stuff. Lemon oil, orange oil, and for the most part any of the grocery store stuff is useless and in most cases even detrimental. Without condemning all antique dealers most realy do not have a clue about how to maintain the integrity of the furnature. They know what works to make it look good on the show room floor, and that's it. We use high quality wax about once a year. Just dust with a soft duster for the rest of the year. For tables and such that get regular use a wipe down with a damp cloth will keep the looking grand.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Thank y'all so much! I am going to take the advice given and go for the "spit polish". :)

Yes, that is Joy the Papillon. She's my baby. :)

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Casey is right for what to do, and Gothichome is right for what not to do.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

I use carnuba wax, it's the hardest wax and shines nicely if you want it to.

I like this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZO ... detailpage

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

how do you get oil out of oranges and lemons anyway ? I think they are more acidic? it must be a marketing scheme.

you can wax if you like. my favorite is a 1:1:1 ratio of linseed oil and turpentine and vinegar. mix it well ( yes the vinegar separated , that's ok,. just shake it , pad it on with a bit of tee shirt or something then take a piece of clean cotton tee shirt and rub every bit off that you can. both methods will give you a bit of shine and take out the whitish scratches that make it look like it "needs something" . just dont leave it sticky with the stuff, dry it down.

or carnuba wax, not my first choice, try not to use it on bits where it will get trapped like carvings. stay away from any finish that has silicone. If it doesn't say on the can it doesn't contain silicone , assume it does. silicone will cause issues if the piece ever needs to be refinished. pledge and armor all have silicone and many other off the shelf products..