Replacing Sash Cord

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Jamie
Settling in

Replacing Sash Cord

Post by Jamie »

I was brought up by the saying, "If you can't do the job right, don't do it all." It was just about 10 years ago this set of windows was stripped and new sash cord installed. Having to again replace that cord has me annoyed to no end. The windows in my current 1922 Alabama house are nowhere near the quality of my old stick style house back in Western New York State. The pine windows were never meant to be a natural finish. There was too much paint build up to even think of painting again. Once the paint was removed, the grain was not that bad to leave natural.

Installing the new cord some ten years ago required removing the outside casings as there are no sash pocket doors to access the window weights. I never planned on having to redo this task in my lifetime. Finally I'm finishing up this last room of my house to be "done over". I was sickened to see the disintegration of the "new" sash cord. This cord is breaking down from the inside. For the record, this faulty crap was sold as sash cord from one of the "big box" home improvement stores.
This is what this "crap cord" now looks like:

I've already had to do this replacement on another set of windows, so this should be a walk in the park. I'm going to document the step by step techniques I've developed for installing pockets into the window frames. I researched replacement cord and came up this Made in the USA quality cord. It cost a bit more, but trust me the quality is worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sash-Cords-spot-cotton-sash/dp/B002C3NBDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446210830&sr=8-3&keywords=cotton+sash+cord

I'll document this window project as it progresses.

Vala

Re: Replacing Sash Cord

Post by Vala »

Yea I only use the red spot cord. The cheap stuff isn't worth it. Anyway would you consider staining your windows from the inside? I'm pretty sure staining is better for the wood than just leaving it raw.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

There is finish on the woodwork. I use Pratt and Lambert 38 satin varnish. The pine interior molding in my house vary in colour. Some rooms are a light wood that was more of a "paint grade" so you can't expect too much from it, while other rooms have a decent grain. On the real light wood, I'll first stain with Minwax oak stain and then wipe over with burnt umber artist oil to darken things up. With the oak stain on first you have a chance to adjust the shade of the artist oil.

I plan to apply marine spar varnish to the inside windowsill and frames. That really repels the moisture that builds in the winter.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sorry to hear about your sash cord issue...I would like to implore you not to shop at amazon as it is yet another big box store only it's online...
personally, I don't like the red spots on the sash cord...the spots are the company's 'gimmick' though the cord itself is good quality...I purchase my cotton braided/synthetic cord from here: http://kilianhardware.com/sashcord.html ...been using it for many years without issue...#8 is the most typical size for residential window sash... kilian's is ONE independent hardware store in philly...they carry a lot of window products....

good luck...
....jade

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Yup, and Killian is where I buy my #8 bronze sash chain.....for the home owner who wants to do it right and never ever have to do it again, ever. :thumbup: No knots to tie, just use these little metal spirals that slide into the knot holes in the side of your stiles. If you ever need to remove a sash for some reason, just pull the spirals out and they won't be able to accidentally slip over the pulley into the weight pocket.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Vala

Post by Vala »

http://smithrestorationsash.com/ also sells the same red spot cord for $10 cheaper fyi.

Jamie: Well that's good. I was unsure if it was bare wood or if it had some sort of finish on it. I don't like to leave things as bare wood. leaves them too suceptible to moisture damage.

Speaking of spot cord, has anyone ever heard of green spot cord? I found it on a window I rescued from the dump once.

green spot.jpg
green spot.jpg (515.65 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

That's Nylon rope, not sash cord. Nylon breaks down under ultra violet light. It will eventually stretch, come completely apart and drop the weights.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

and also drop your window if it is in an open position, probably breaking your glass too. Ask me how i know. :lol:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I am currently working on a large (150 plus 12 over 8 windows) project with polypropolene sash cord specified by the project manager...last time we went to remove more sash, it was brought to our attention that the knotted rope had slipped out of at least 6 windows....I was mortified...turns out it wasn't our fault, the cord (installed by others) stretched sufficiently enough to shrink the knot and pull it from the bore (knot hole)...now we will need to install heavy duty staples to hold the cord in place for the duration...

......jade

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

150? :wtf: Public building or private? That sounds insane Jade. Good for you though...you'll be busy for a while!

Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.