Should I worry too much about water coming through my foundation?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Should I worry too much about water coming through my foundation?

Post by phil »

you can use hydraulic cement which expands as it sets to fix cracks after chiseling them out, but abou tthe pressure yes it sounds like you;d have to dig and put some gravel and a working drain to fix it.
I could see the built up water could cause pressure, maybe it would be possible to drill a hole and put a pipe in near the floor so water couldn't collect and pool on the outside for now? french drains would help at least it is easy to do. I guess some depends on your lot and the soil or rock and weather you have access to get machinery to dig. Im pretty lucky mine is on cobble which drains so well it hasn't been an issue but still I'd like to dig out the old clay pipes and empty them because I know they are full of years of mud.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Just seen this thread, after I had a nervous week with that hurricane coming through. I didn't get as much in my area as was originally expected, but it was one of only two times since I have owned my home that the cellar had water all in it and the sump didn't keep up for whatever reason. I have dirt walls which have mostly been covered with cement brick. Two spots in the bricked areas were leaking water and I noticed this underneath my front porch area:

Based on my little experience, I wonder if it is just "one of those things" that occurs when you get a stinkin' bucket load of rain (or snow)...

sundine2
Just Arrived

Post by sundine2 »

I have a stone not rock foundation on the inside and rock on the outside. When it rains I have leakage too but it is never standin water. The mortar on the inside though is coming out and I need to do something with it. I will sweep the concrete floor along the wall then 2 weeks later there are stone shards laying on the floor. Lots of effervecense too on the stone. One side of the basement is dirt and the other is poured concrete with a pit from an earlier heating system ( octopus style). Not sure if I can just use regular mortar on these walls or not.
Teri