Shellac Application

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Re: Shellac Application

Post by Kashka-Kat »

OMG thats beautiful Matt, appreciate the fine points about how to work in the overlaps as I got frustrated with my one attempt on my floors - do you have this kitchen project posted somewhere?

Question for yall - if I remove polyurethane from oak dresser (I didnt do it) then can I shellac - or will there forever be poly in the wood pores. I guess another way of asking this question is can you shellac over poly, or remnants of old poly finish? Im finding contradictory answers online. thx

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Shellac Application

Post by phil »

If you tried to shellac over a project that is poly'd I's say no , but if you have sanded most of it off , the little remnants in the cracks and things.. I think you might be ok. try a little test spot. It might show because there isn't going to absorb where the poly is. If you dont; like it , just wash it off with acetone and a clean cloth and keep sanding until you are happy.

I did the same as Matt with all my kitchen parts. I wiped on the shellac with a pad and when I was happy with the look I sealed it with poly. I used oil based poly whereas Matt used the water based. very similar results though.. and that way it's a tougher finish so it can take getting a little greasy and getting washed down with soap and water.

on thing I would say though is watch out if it is an area near heat. I did notice the very corners near the stove door and just over the dishwasher, they get a bit warm and the shellac wrinkles. Its nothing large or serious in my kitchen, but jut keep in mind that shellac cant' take a lot of heat, even if it is buried between coats.