Insulation under floorboards/in crawlspace

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Insulation under floorboards/in crawlspace

Post by Gothichome »

Gibson, good to see your name up on the board, some times I think I’m the only one left restoring and posting. How are things in your world?

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Pretty good, Gothic - and you? Finishing up the outdoors season for painting. Got a small start on the historical society building I'd mentioned...also re-glazing all of their windows as time goes on. I have about 10 done and back in (20 sashes). Thinking of expanding the glazing operation a bit more, as I'm 50 now, and not really enjoying all the lead-paint scraping and hustling all the time. I have a small start on an outbuilding shop (with a wood stove in it 8-) ) It would be a leap to go full-time on glazing, though. Maine Preservation Society seems to think I'd be able to make a good go of it if I got set up right, tho. We'll see!
You all set for winter?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gibson! Yes, pretty well finished up the outside work till next season. Just waiting for the last of the leaves to fall and then rake. Time to start inside work. Plan to start stripping the white paint going up the stairs, have to finish some minor details on last winters bathroom project and decide on what room to tackle next. I am now semi retired so I should get more accomplished this winter.

Going into the window restorations full time should keep you busy, if I recall there is sort of a guild for window restorers, Jade will know. It would be a great way to diversify but as you mentioned it might a bit to much should you get window jobs and major paint jobs at the same time with tight schedules. A nice worm shop to work in, that’ll be a treat.
Ron

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

3-season warm, since it's not insulated! That would be the major challenge to move forward - having to lay out some $$ for insulating, even if DIY. Things are SO expensive now! One sheet of 2"x4x8' foam board insulation is over $50 here! I have a little 'room' in there lined w/plastic now, which lets me get it reasonably warm to work into December, but of course it drops down after you leave...I'd be concerned about paint issues, or glazing freezing overnight. A lot to think about. I'm tempted to speak with the 2 other glazers I'm aware of...equipment, and how they got their start - how to manage what could be HUGE demand right off the bat, with nobody to help you do it. All told, fully re-doing each sash can take 5-10 hrs to complete for 1 person (or else I'm just slow!)...

Does Jade still come around the forum? I lurk thru here regularly, looking to see if anyone new has posted any questions I could help with :D A lot of what we're doing is a dying art...I can't find a younger person that wants to learn how to paint - and it's a money tree if you know how to pick it properly! No helpers available in this area, and only 2-3 other painters exist in my county. That's not very hopeful...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gibson, sorry for the tardy reply. No Jade has not posted for a long while, she still has a link in the resource section. Seed money is always an issue when starting out! Probably even harder with a niche skill like window restoration. But you do have an ‘in’ already with the preservation people, so you have a customer who have the means and the work. I would think not many homes are having their windows out over the winter so you do have the time to piece together your shop.
Ron

Jades home page.
http://heartwoodrestoration.com/

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Yes, I'd seen Jade's page, and 'presence' on other social media...I think that's how biz is done now, on facebook, lol. I still just do a web site. If need be, I can email...

What I'm most worried about is turnover - how rapidly you can get sash back to the customer, and how long the job must go on. That lack of help is really a concern for doing this going forward. Tho, if you simply can't GET something other than on certain terms...you do tend to accept more than you usually might, ha ha. I currently do some preservation society stuff, and they'll wait as long as you want, AND want you to keep going as long as possible into winter. No residents in those places...if the bldg is occupied, you must follow lead regulations and 'tent' each window opening, keep records and do paperwork. It's a bit much, but noncompliance is costly...

Once I had a setup where a resto carpentry company would BRING me the sashes, and pick up and re-install them. THAT was awesome! :mrgreen:

Just finishing off 4 storm sashes' felt and hardware this morning, then they can go back into that place I showed, which is 15 miles from here. After that, I get to remove and restore the ONLY original window to the building (1820); 2 sashes - top is 4x3, bottom is 4x2, and they need to soak in bloop for a couple of days, LOL. They'll make some good biz photos! :thumbup:

It's warm here this week, but winter is creeping right up on us...