Soften Sarco in the container?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Soften Sarco in the container?

Post by Manalto »

I got delayed in my window restoration and my nearly-full gallon of Sarco Multi-Glaze has sat for a couple of years. I put a disc of linseed-oil-soaked paper on top to keep it from drying but storage time was just too long.

It's not totally dried; there is some very stiff flexibility to the putty. Is there any way to rejuvenate the putty to a usable state?

Gothichome

Re: Soften Sarco in the container?

Post by Gothichome »

Gezzzz, I don’t have an answer for you James, to bd Jade doesn’t stop by any more. You might try kneading in some more linseed oil but that would only be a guess.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Soften Sarco in the container?

Post by Manalto »

I was thinking similar thoughts. I drizzled some linseed oil over the top and put it in a warm spot. (This house is pretty chilly.) I'll try kneading it tomorrow.

I called Jade on the phone but she didn't pick up. I'll try her again on Monday if the linseed-oil method doesn't work. I hope I can salvage the putty; there's still quite a lot in the container.

UPDATE: I spoke to Jade (I told her we miss her at THD) and she advised me on a fix. Cut into the putty and pry off the hardened surface, exposing the soft putty underneath. The dried putty is waste. Unfortunately, I didn't smooth the surface before putting it away (I usually do) so with the craggy surface I will have more waste, but all is not lost. If the putty is too stiff, add some linseed oil (boiled) and knead in a warm spot to soften it. If it's too soft, knead on some cardboard to absorb the extra oil. Be careful when disposing cardboard soaked in linseed oil because of the fire hazard.

Jade also told me that, when storing Sarco, you can smooth out the surface - making sure it's tight against the walls of the container - and pour some water over the putty to keep it soft. When you're ready to use the putty, pour off the water and blot. I hope this helps someone who may have encountered a similar situation. Sarco is good stuff but it's pricey and a shame to waste.

UPDATE 2: Much ado about nothing. I dug in with a putty knife and was able to salvage all but the driest of the putty, about the size of a small potato. Not bad considering I thought the whole container was a goner. The linseed oil I had drizzled over the top got worked in and the putty is soft, pliable and ready for glazing tomorrow. From now on, I will be sure to smooth the top each time I put it away. (When I put it away last time, I probably thought I'd use the putty the next day but never did.)