Removing paint from fireplace tiles and grout

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Removing paint from fireplace tiles and grout

Post by SarahFair »

In going to get myself in trouble if I don't figure out how to remove the paint from the grout.

The fireplace ground tiles are painted with a gray primer coat and 2 coats of black.

My kids and I are always cold, so in the winter we are always found on the hearth, right next to the heater insert, so in the few years we've been here the paint is starting to look worn and awful.

Having always been curious about what's underneath, I sort of stripped one tile, just to see.
One turned into two, two turned into 4...
But I'm having issues with the grout now.
It's not really coming up past the black coats, I'm guessing the primer coat really sucked it in.

I'd REALLY like to get this paint off permanently instead of just repainting.
I've used citristrip with "eh" results, klean strip premium with better results, and a heat gun with panic.
I don't want to use the heat gun for this project because the paint keeps flaking off in tiny pieces, one which shot back up on the heating element, got hot, then shot back out in sparks :?

I read on another thread someone used Red Devil Lye, I used to use Lye to make soap, so Im familiar with it, but its still an iffy thought for me..

What do yall suggest doing?
Attachments
20220112_130127.jpg
20220112_130127.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
20220112_130145.jpg
20220112_130145.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
20220112_130136.jpg
20220112_130136.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
20220112_130117.jpg
20220112_130117.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

Gothichome

Re: Removing paint from fireplace tiles and grout

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, do you have an occilating saw, they make a grout removal blade, it would take a steady hand but it may be the way to go. After just regrout. They also make a hand operated grout removal as well but it would require elbow grease and patience, less chance of damage though.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/2-12-uni ... lsrc=aw.ds

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

Gothichome wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 am Sara, do you have an occilating saw, they make a grout removal blade, it would take a steady hand but it may be the way to go. After just regrout. They also make a hand operated grout removal as well but it would require elbow grease and patience, less chance of damage though.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/2-12-uni ... lsrc=aw.ds
Yes, I have that type of saw..
I was hoping leaving the grout intact was an option, lol

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, with out mechanically removing the grout I think your only option might be some thing a bit stronger in the way of paint removers, I might suggest an automotive stripper available at your local auto parts store, or some thing in an industrial strength, but that might be hard to get of hold of.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

The husband hates them.
He asked me last night if I was going to paint them back over
Called them a nasty cream color :roll:
(But hey, he finally gave me some sort of opinion, so :dance: )

I mean, I dont exactly love the color either and am thinking of just replacing them. :shhh:

I'd like to find a lot of historic tiles, problem is, there isn't options available in my area..
I might have to seek out reproductions/go with a historic look

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

There are companies that manufacture reproduction tiles or a lot of regular tile manufacturers make vintage looking tiles. Do you think the tiles you have were original to the house?

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

I'm really not sure, I think the back ones might be.

The ones I stripped are in the living room, I stripped a small tile on the surround, the livingroom and the dining room fire places match.

I think the surround tiles might be original, but the floor tiles, I'm not sure.

This is a picture of the surround tile in the dining room.
20220116_085727.jpg
20220116_085727.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
I dont think I mind them, they semi remind me of a brown trout, I dont feel like this cream color matches it well, but Im also not sure what color would :?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, I was just looking at our hearthstone is a tinted cement. That just might be the answer.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

We have cement in the bedrooms (painted over of course :roll:)
The husband might have an absolute melt down and shut the whole project down if I mention cement.
He is not a visualizer or DIYer, but I dont disagree that may be a way to go :think: