Questions as I restore my first window

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
aislinn
Knows the area

Re: Questions as I restore my first window

Post by aislinn »

Ok follow up question. BLO and Turp another came in plastic containers. Can I just leave them in the original containers once I open them? My plan is to mix the blopentine in a jar, use a chip brush to apply to the window, and then wipe excess with a paper towel. then put paper towels in a glass jar full of water, leave outside, and throw it out on trash day. Does this sound reasonable? And what should I do with the chip brush?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Aislinn, that is exactly what I do. Mix it up in an old mason jar with a lid and an old chip brush. Same jar and brush for yearsa. The blo and turps will be fine in their original containers.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The only advantage to rags is they don't produce lint, or as much lint, and you can spread them out on the driveway to dry before throwing them away. That way you don't have the messiness of water.

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Ah ok good point. Plenty of old cloth diapers I use as rags lying around so I’ll just use those. And Gothic I can just keep the same chip brush between windows? No worry about combustion if I leave it out to dry?

Thanks all for answering my novice questions!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

nothig wrong with storing rags or brushes in s sealed up pickle jar. as far as fire is concerned, once air is removed from the jar spontaneous combustion wont occurr.
having flamable liquids in glass jars can present a danger should they be dropped. It's basically like having a "molotov cocktail" on the shelf. I have found that plastic peanut butter jars fine for short term use for brushes but some plastics may melt. Ive seen the lids distort. paint cans may be the safest option. some types of plastic are compatible with turpentine but others may not be. If you use plastic then you have to be careful because some will melt and you dont want to set a bottle on the shelf to have it melt and leak the contents.