Sash sizes relative to window opening?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
ZoraQ
Settling in

Sash sizes relative to window opening?

Post by ZoraQ »

Howdy all.

I'm revisiting some double hung windows that I restored approx 15 years ago. These were one of the first windows I restored in my home. I had some issues with the size of the sashes as the fit in the opening. Now that I'm refreshing the work I did previously I'm scratching my head how to address this mismatch of sashes to the window unit. I'm guessing that these sashes were installed at some point to replace a set of bad sashes and they didn't install the right size for this particular window.

What I'm dealing with is that the sash width is approx 1/2" less than the width of the opening between the sash channels (measured horizontally). The width of the sash channel is 30" at the top and bottom but both the upper and lower sashes are 29-1/2" in width. This 1/2" play allows the sashes to have excessive movement horizontally. I've dealt with horizontal play in some of my other double hung units with spring bronze but for this set even the spring bronze isn't going to solve the issue.

What is the standard width of a sash in relation to the sash opening? I've put a temporary solution in place but I'm contemplating having a replacement set made but one of my local contacts. My google searches aren't turning up anything on what width of sashes I should be installing in a 30" opening.

Gothichome

Re: Sash sizes relative to window opening?

Post by Gothichome »

ZoraQ, good to hear from you. I think my solution would be to cut some fir to split the difference and install with staples, fill sand and paint. Leave a 1/8 inches gap for fitting in the frame. Other than window repair what else have you been up to old home related?

ZoraQ
Settling in

Post by ZoraQ »

My temporary fix was to add a 3/8" piece cut to size onto the end of the sash to widen the sash in the opening. This seems to be a temporary kind of fix but it has solved the problem. Unfortunately the bottom sash seems to have suffered some pretty significant rot that's making me consider having some new sashes made. I looked at some of my other windows and the well fitting ones have about an 1/8" of play on each side so I think that's what I'm going to go with if I get some sashes made.

Most of my old home stuff these days is just keeping up with the woes of a 100 year old wooden home. Most recently I've picked up the art of shingling since my siding is wood shingles. A contractor friend showed my some tips and I tried my hand at it. I was slow but I think that it came out OK.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

There is a bit of satisfaction in being able to do it yourself. At least for me.

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Zora - You got some great advice.
My windows were the same setup as yours. I added a 3/16 strip on each side of the window. A 1/8th gap on either side for swelling and travel.