Windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
aislinn
Knows the area

Windows

Post by aislinn »

So I am struggling to find any local craftsman who work with original wood windows (I'm in Worcester, MA USA if anyone has suggestions it's much appreciated!). I'm decently handy and not against taking the project on, but I have a 3 year old and an infant so dedicated time to do projects is a little slim these days. Still, our windows need some work and things will not get better as time goes on, so I think I just need to get the ball rolling. Anyone have good suggestions on books I can get from the library or resources to start figuring out how to get started and which issues I should tackle first?

Thank you!!!

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Re: Windows

Post by PaulJohnson »

My suggestion is to contact Jade on this forum. Her business is in your neck of the woods. Her forum name is Heartwood.

When I started with our home the website below was a great resource. I have not seen a lot of traffic on the site, but the site is rich with information as is this site.
http://historichomeworks.com/forum/

Please don't be bashful with questions, pictures, or requests for input. I have found the folks here are pleasant, helpful, deep seated knowledge and love bringing the past back to life.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Thank you both! So helpful!

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

I finally have started my first window...deglazed the top sash and got glass out without breaking (all six!) and have gotten about 90% of the paint off. Slow painstaking work on all these profiles, but it's going! Wondering if you all have a suggestion on what to do with paint on the jambs (see photos). Do I scrape? Leave as it? Paint over? The parting beads have similar paint on them too. What do I do about that?

I started with this window because it no longer is exterior facing (our sleeping porch was closed in and turned into a laundry room), so while there is lots of sun I don't have to worry about wind or weather on it. Figured it was a good trial window.
Attachments
IMG_7468.jpg
IMG_7468.jpg (234.86 KiB) Viewed 760 times
IMG_7467.jpg
IMG_7467.jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 760 times

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

My opinion: if the paint on the jambs is solid, I would feather it out and paint over it. Only if there are no issues with the existing adhesion I would not go through the effort especially if I was going to paint. My recommendation would be to use a latex primer and finish because you never know what is there. Trying to apply an oil over what may be latex would not go well.