Shop Cabinet

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Shop Cabinet

Post by PaulJohnson »

We are taking a break from home projects and decided to tidy up the shop.
This was a cabinet that was made several years ago. I am finally getting around to making the face frames and doors.
There are 6 upper cabinets and 6 lower.
252A84DE-620E-4863-90B8-B7879B3E582D.jpeg
252A84DE-620E-4863-90B8-B7879B3E582D.jpeg (582.14 KiB) Viewed 589 times
B3621525-FC7A-4E40-8536-82A4DC89021A.jpeg
B3621525-FC7A-4E40-8536-82A4DC89021A.jpeg (479.75 KiB) Viewed 589 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Shop Cabinet

Post by phil »

interesting how you chose to use pegboard as panels. was that for the style or to hang tools from the doors?

I find the pegboard handy but for me it amounts to how many things I can hang in one area. Mine certainly never looks tidy but it serves a purpose.

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Hey Phil

Great question... A little bit of both.
As you can see in the photo, I have a long wall of pegboard that gets used.

My thought was consistency in style, a light reflective surface so as not to darken the basement, and a place to hang light weight items that are used frequently.

Lightweights items:
- Combination Squares
- Pencil Holder - I am always loosing my pencils
- Calipers (for the cabinet near the lathe)
- Table-saw Pushsticks
- Utility Knife (always lose those, too)
- nail sets - get them off the bench
- etc ...

phil

Post by phil »

I bought a case of the LED bulbs that fit my flourescent fixtures. with the ones I got I can just eliminate the ballasts and hook up 110 to either end of the tube. That helped a lot to improve my lighting and made a drastic change to photo quality if I take pics. Yours may already be that judging by the quality of your photo. the cabinets help keep dust out but I am always fighting with the space to swing the doors. That's the price you pay to save a little by hoarding anything you might need at some point down the road ;-) tools like hammers can go a several on a peg if you drill a hole in the handle. If I tried to draw a line around each tool it would look like someone went mad with an etch a sketch and it would change daily ;-)

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Swing space for one of the doors was an issue for me. I had my clamp rack mounted to the main beam of the house which would have been in the way of the door.

It took me a few to find a solution. Below my solution. The plywood was my first attempt and I didn’t like it. The end product is high enough to be out of the way and still close at hand. My jointer is right below it.
FEB536BC-7B38-454C-AA35-0CEA53BBD027.jpeg
FEB536BC-7B38-454C-AA35-0CEA53BBD027.jpeg (500.75 KiB) Viewed 555 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

This thread is relevant to my interests. I have gathered all sorts of bits to fashion a workable shop in our cellar, but that project keeps getting kicked down the To Do list (which is awesome to behold).

Thanks for all the pictures! Definitely gives me some food for thought. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

when I bought my house it had an old jelly cupboard stuck under the porch so it became part of my toolroom. Now I'm cutting down flooring to make wainscot and I keep thinking how fun it would be to replicate the thing. Its built out of basically the same material as wainscot, T and G about 2 x 3/4. I thought of stripping it, its painted blue but maybe it would be easier to copy it than to try to remove all that paint.. I went on to wonder if these things would be something worth making to sell. there is a fair amount of wood in them, no plywood. the doors use old school methods with some bracing on the inside of the doors. Its so handy in the shop I hesitate to unload the thing but it should probably be in an old kitchen. I put a cabinet at the back of my bench but my work habits don't agree with the doors ;-)

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

I am a perpetual saver and user of things that were saved. After the shop cabinets I moved to my tablesaw. It need an extension and outfeed table.

I bought some melamine for the extension table and used a counter top from our last home as the outfeed. The counter sits on top of three base cabinets that were made for the shop.

Now I need to make an extension for the left of the saw.
789BE155-CBBB-487D-997C-D45DAC1A73ED.jpeg
789BE155-CBBB-487D-997C-D45DAC1A73ED.jpeg (481.34 KiB) Viewed 488 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That work bench is WAY too clean and organized! :lol:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

We've also picked up some bits here and there that have gradually migrated to the cellar, but I still haven't gotten around to stop dithering and just saying "x will go here" "y will go here", so it's a bit of a mess down there. Someone who will remain nameless during one move decided without asking to "condense" all my various tool boxes and crates down so he could free up some crates for the move, and was quite willy nilly about how he spread the load. I still haven't completely resorted it all out.

We were very lucky in that we picked up a table saw and two old wood saw horses from someone that was downsizing. Still haven't used it, but it's not going anywhere. I do wish I had it earlier on a few things we did rather than hand sawing. (All the batteries from my original set of DeWalt tools won't charge anymore, and haven't had the funds to replace them yet.) All your pics are inspiring me to get off my duff and make at least a stab in the dark of organizing down there. What I really want is vises for a work bench, but every time I see a Craig's List for them, they're gone before I get a hold of the seller.

That reminds me, someone had ditched a small wood bench (nothing fancy--just a sized down sawhorse, really, but nicely made nonetheless), and I couldn't take it with me that day. I wonder if it's still curbside... :eusa-think:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.