kitchen pullout taps

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

kitchen pullout taps

Post by phil »

I keep a tub under my kitchen sink and noticed it had water in it.
I have one of those pullout taps i the kitchen so I can spray around the sink. The sprayer has a swivel on it where the hose goes in and it has an o ring or similar, a seal in there. I put two O rings in there and got it so it stopped leaking.

I went to Lowes to see if I could get parts or replace the thing. the salesman said to call Moen and they will send parts or a new one as they guarantee for life. It's probably 15 years old now. I didn't have the receipt.
I tried that and emailed them now they are sending a whole new fixture. they wanted pictures and some of the chrome was flaking off.
So Moen does stand by their name and it was worth following up on. now I just need to change it out because I want that to be reliable.

So for others that have a pullout kitchen spout. every now and then pull it out and check the swivel, see if it drips. If you notice any drips there deal with it or the water will invisibly be dripping back into the cabinet. it was running down the hoses and on first glance looked like one of the shutoffs was leaking. if left and ignored that could spell disaster.

Keeping a plastic tub under the sink saved me a few times. I find I can even put bottles and things in there but at least if you do get a leak it helps give you time to notice something is wrong. at one point I had rubber tiles down to protect the kitchen floor. the dishwasher hose leaked , the water went under the rubber mat. by the time I saw it it was bucking the floor and causing damage. mostly it just pushed the filler out of the cracks but the mats prevented me from seeing it for a little while. It's worth changing that drain hose on your dishwasher every 10 years or so. it was just old plastic that was too thin and cheap that caused it, but that's probably pretty typical.

I think it's probably a common occurrence that people install their dishwasher and forget all about it after , until a problem like this happens ,when it happens ( not if) you realize it's really good to prevent these things before they happen. Of course buying quality parts helps too.

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: kitchen pullout taps

Post by nhguy »

The plastic tub idea is a good one. Our kitchen is new , but eventually things start to fail or as we found out brand new items like our dishwasher shutoff fail in the middle of the night. Thanks Phil for the idea.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: kitchen pullout taps

Post by phil »

I didn't designate my cabinet for garbage. Ive seen many do and it usually amounts to a gross smelling cabinet. One thing I did was to bring the heat vent out under the kitchen sink so that was another reason not to keep the garbage in there. the air is warmed and that also helps keep things dry but it would also sort of cook the garbage.
One thing I want to do is create a rack to hold the garbage and recycle bin on top of each other but easily accessible, so they just take the footprint of one can. I'm trying to think up a creative idea and also find cans that are just right.
Plastic bags are getting banned here ( at grocery stores) so then we won't be able to use the ones from groceries. I then have to buy kitchen bags which are a bit different in size. We do this for the environment.
the one good part is that I guess we will get more paper bags and they are great for putting my sawdust into , I just burn it that way and it isn't explosive or messy. if I put sawdust in the green bin they dont like it but sometimes I still do. It isn't bad environmentally, they just don't like the dust cloud so I wet it down or add leaves or lawn clippings. I prefer to burn it though , might as well get the heat from it.